Help! New allotment+scottish 'summer'=confused and scared!

• 6 Replies

Kirkcudbright

Can anyone help? I have been kindly allowed a little space (5ft square-ish) on an allotment near Glasgow. I want to plant something but it keeps raining and raining and it's August! Is there anything I can put in that will grow? The beds are raised and would normally be sunny but aren't right now. I was hoping for salad leaves, some herbs (parsley and coriander top of list), maybe some radishes and beetroot, and some nasturtiums or geraniums for salads. Oh and some spring onions. Am I ever going to be able to do any of this? I've browsed and read and been to the library but I can't find any books on 'salad leaves which love growing in an inch of water'! If those things are impossible, I would love to put something in, to at least try to get going. I know I sound desperate and clueless, and I am, but if anyone can give me a steer it would be great. I don't know anyone with a garden, never mind an allotment!

Springlands

Re: Help! New allotment+scottish 'summer'=confused and scared!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 21:20 »
This has been a really difficult growing year for everyone and especially so if you are new to growing. Your growing area is relatively small so you would probably be best to plant quick growing crops like salad leaves and as you say radishes and beetroot. You could also plant one of the hardy spring onions for user over the winter. Parsley can be hard to germinate but you could have a go at that. Have a look at the 'Month by month' tab at the top of the page for a list of what can be planted at this time of year.

Nothing will grow if you really have an inch of water on your little plot - the only way to get round that would be to build a raised bed but you would have to consider the cost especially if the person who is letting you use that space changes their mind.  Good luck.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 21:59 »
If you google 'square foot gardening' or search for it on here, you'll see some interesting advice on how to fit maximum stuff into the minimum area.

I've just started off some beetroot in modules for later planting out.  Not too late for most salad leaves, radishes, spring onions, herbs (though I'd do coriander in a pot, to be honest).  It's too late for nasturtiums this year and probably also for geraniums.

PS Welcome to the site.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 22:09 »
I would second square foot gardening as a concept and if your bed is prone to flooding, it is small enough to convert to a raised bed quite easily to help with the drainage.

Get hold of some large water bottles to convert into cloches to extend your season.

Salads are really easy to grow and actually prefer wetter weather (OK not flooding).  Coriander growing outside might not be a reality in this summer tho sadly!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 22:32 »
we done as you have a raised bed flooding will not be a problem , I would however start some things off in pots etc , radish will grow as should turnips and some salad leaves
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Kirkcudbright

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 15:41 »
Thanks so much everyone! It's actually forecast sunny for a few days now so I am going to try your suggestions and will just have to keep my fingers crossed. I will be so pleased if anything makes it through! Thanks a lot for your help.

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 15:57 »
As The Hitch Hikers Guide say 'Don't Panic". Do not expect everything to work straight away. You could try all the things you mentioned and some in pots. I have some raised beds in my garden as well as an allotment(greedy). Put some salad leaf  in also spring onions. I put some spring onions in last October and they are now the size of proper onions and also very nice in omelettes .

Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

clip
Best squash for a Scottish summer

Started by timdunn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 30, 2019, 19:59
by al78
xx
I'am confused

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 22:24
by gavinjconway
xx
Confused!

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 19:54
by Trillium
xx
a bit confused now

Started by the spiv on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 23:07
by RichardA

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 38 queries.