compost bin or womery

• 4 Replies

Jasper1

compost bin or womery
« on: August 22, 2009, 19:16 »
I don't know if I should have a compost bit or a womery or both. At the moment I don't have anything except a very full recycling bin every fortnight full of kitchen waste and grass cuttings and to me thats a waste of good compost material. But both can be expensive to set up and a waste of money if they doin't work

I do have a lot of laurel and the waxy leaves which will not rot down well.

I like the idea of the wormery as it's easier to maintain, but I cannot put in loads of grass cuttings. On the other hand compost bin will save money in buying loads of compost each year.

I would like to do both but with just to people in the house will I have enough kitchen for both?.

DavidT

Re: compost bin or womery
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 19:39 »
I would agree with going for both, Jasper. The compost you would use for adding to the soil. While the wormery liquid you`d use as a plant feed.

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 19:49 »
Another vote for both. We find we need a womery and 2 bins and we're only a small family of myself, hubby and a toddler.

The womery is used for easily compostable stuff like potato peelings, etc. We've 2 compost bins and fill one up September to August and then leave it for a year before it goes on the raised beds as a mulch. While it's sitting we fill up the second bin, so I've got fresh compost each autumn and womery compost for potting.

Worms also don't like things like citrus peel and onion skins so they go into the compost.  Anything that takes a really long time to compost goes in the green wheelie bin for the council  to deal with :D.
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

AlotArds

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 23:51 »
Hi Jasper
have you checked with your local council to see if they have any compost bins - I got one free from my council, I know of others that charge as little as £5 for bins, might be worth a look or phone call.

Good luck

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 07:25 »
My compost bins are full of worms, if i get a wormery sticker and put it on the side would it make it legitimate. :)
My vote goes for the composter if i need fine compost i get the sieve out.

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 36 queries.