A Guest for Christmas Tea

• 29 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
A Guest for Christmas Tea
« on: December 26, 2019, 12:37 »
We've a guest today. He's a battle-scarred warrior with some unsavoury habits like spraying but he's getting on and hungry.
Normally he runs out as soon as he sees us but today he let me feed him a couple of sachets of cat food.
He was purring as he ate and I even got a stroke in!
Then he got onto the worktop, pushed the lid off the butter dish and ate half a new pack we put in yesterday :)
I thought he was feral but now think he's a stray or his owner has gone. Anyway, poor chap needs help and we just can't chase him off.
He came back for breakfast today, emptied a tin of Whiskas over the worktop and the floor but ran off when I walked in. I might see if I can borrow a trap cage as he really needs a vet and making friends isn't his strongpoint.
I watched him trudge down the path, soaking wet and it was so sad.

Large, sandy ginger tom, not neutered.
ginger tom.jpg
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: A Guest for Christmas Tea
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 14:18 »
Poor old fella, you're a good man John.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 15:07 »
At least he has found a friend, even if he hasn't realised it yet  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 15:41 »
I've a feeling he's getting near the end - but if I can get him to feel safe with us then at worst the last part of his life will be easy.

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 16:47 »
We had a similar situation a couple of years ago.  We noticed a cat that seemed very thin, and was always in our garden. we started feeding it. Come the winter, when it got cold, we bought it a bed and let it sleep in the back lobby. "Only while the weather's cold!", I told my husband. After losing the last of our three huskies I was so upset I swore I'd never have another animal. Two years later, we have been adopted. Cat - that it her name "Cat", has taken over my husband's chair and moans until he moves when she wants to sit in it. We have just bought her an outside shelter in case she needs warmth and security if she goes out for a while. Her teeth aren't brilliant, so hubby spends time mashing up her food to a mush (no, she doesn't like the little sachets that are already very soft!), and feeding her about six times a day in small amounts.
Beware John, a takeover is in the offing!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 21:37 »
He came back in tonight. Definitely not a feral, he purred when I stroked him. I think he's got some sort of mange on his face, an injured eye, a problem with his mouth or teeth and he's not grooming himself. Did manage to eat some mashed Felix and cooked chicken breast torn up small. Not much though, especially not for a big cat.
Going to try and catch him tomorrow and get him to a vet but I can't hold him in the house against his will easily. We're too open plan and the other cats are unsure of him - Lotty (boss cat) was growling at him which isn't a good sign, Niblet ran off and hid but the others seem wary but tolerant
He checked out the bedroom and I thought he was going to settle down in the lounge but something spooked him.
Plan is to call the local animal rescue in the morning for advice and to see if they can keep him secure whilst he recuperates at least.
Hope the vet is able to help him, he's suffering and if they can't help then I know what has to be done.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 00:17 »
Quick update - he came back in and settled on a chair in the lounge for a bit before moving into the bedroom to settle down there. At least he's warm and dry.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 00:50 »
Glad to hear he's setttling in with you and safe from the elements. I showed my boy the picture you posted and he thinks it's both the ugliest but loveliest cat he's ever seen! Keep us updated, for better or worse.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 10:01 »
I fell asleep on the sofa and awoke at 2am - he'd gone. I thought he might come back for breakfast this morning but no sign.

grinling

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 22:12 »
there is a lot of missing ginger cats on animal search uk. Hope it is microchipped

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 09:11 »
Well he's not come back :(
He's been visiting us for a while - usually all we saw was his tail vanishing through the cat flap. I'd like to think he has a home and has gone there but I fear that may have been the last time we'll see him.
At worst he had a few warm hours and nice food, knowing someone was friendly and not shouting him away.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 09:18 »
If he has gone for good, it was his decision.  Perhaps he felt it coming and went away to be alone.

He was allowed in, got food and affection and was welcome to stay.  You did what you could and perhaps that was all he wanted from you.  I'm sure it made a difference to him  :)

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 14:22 »
We had a couple of rescue cats a few years back, Rollo and Ripley. Rollo was just formidable in his enjoyment of life, Ripley was so shy, he hardly ever came near us.

One night, I couldn't sleep, so came downstairs to slouch on the sofa for either some sort of kip, or at least a chance to stretch out and let Mrs Growster sleep on. Ripley suddenly appeared, and as I was so quiet, he came up and just lay down next to me, and for the first time ever, I heard the softest purr you could even imagine!

Dear, dear boy...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 14:23 by Growster... »

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 23:23 »
He came back tonight, starving hungry. Put a sachet of Whiskas in gravy down, laced with Metacam (a painkiller for cats) and he didn't wait on the bowl going down, leapt onto the worktop to wolf it down.
Then ate another 2 sachets!
Son-in-law, Gary, came round (to pick up a toy they'd left) and we got him into a cat basket with no fuss. Partly because Gary is very good with cats and partly I think because Tom doesn't have the strength left to fight.  Gary then nipped off to get a dog crate they have and we transferred Tom into that. He's got a folded fleecy blanket, litter tray, more food (laced with Metacam) and water.
Vet's tomorrow to see what can be done.
Apart from his endearing habit of scent marking and spraying (he did the microwave on one visit!) he's a lovely friendly chap when he trusts you. Trouble is, being a whole Tom, he's a wanderer by nature so if he needs care for weeks (as I think he may) that means incarceration in the crate. I may be able to get the local cat rescue place to help but suspect they've got their hands full at this time of year.
Vets aren't cheap either... when Niblet lost her eye that was over £700. Oh well, that's my retirement being delayed.  :nowink:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 23:35 »
John, do you have a Paypal account? I would chip in  a couple of quid to help if you do and I bet I'm not the only one here who would help the old boy out. There's not many who would step in and help out an old furbag like you have mate.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 55 queries.