What I did on the plot today 2020

• 247 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2020
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2020, 19:49 »
Attaching a photo showing the plot that I am clearing today and detail on my monofilament deer fence.

At least it's not too hot today, 31 C, cool for the time of year.
IMG_20200627_081921340_15pct.jpg
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 19:55 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: June 29, 2020, 04:23 »
Built a raised bed from a pile of scrap brick on my property, and started a second one after clearing a little more land of weeds and vines.  Planted the finished bed with Serrano chilies (raised from seed), also okra and sunflowers. Planted a couple hills of Butterbush squash. 
Hotter than yesterday (33 C) and very humid. 

So far, no additional deer troubles.
IMG_20200628_204123294_20pct.jpg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: June 30, 2020, 21:44 »
Completed second raised bed yesterday, more okra, cayenne peppers, squash.

This evening I will gather some pine straw mulch from places where it shouldn't be (near house), place it in the walking areas around the raised beds.  I have some of that mulch reserved for when the plants are tall enough.  Probably plant some of my remaining 16 tomato plants that are not in the ground yet.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2020, 22:29 »
A family outing today. We: watered, harvested and did some weeding.The kids ran around the plot for a bit.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: July 04, 2020, 04:17 »
Finished transplanting the last of the tomatoes today, so I think I'm done planting.

I also made a small wall around the base of my little magnolia tree and brought in some soil to replace some that eroded away.

After that, relaxed, had a hamburger dinner with my wife and boys, then walked to watch fireworks.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2020, 01:24 »
It has been hot, hot, hot, and dry, dry, dry lately.  So, my work in the plot is mostly about keeping the tomatoes, squash, peppers, okra and herbs watered as best I can.  The tomatoes and peppers seem to be the happiest.  Squash and okra are doing ok, but I planted late, time will tell if they yield anything.  Herbs are mostly doing fine, in pots, though I don't think I will try growing dill in a pot again (I wanted some fresh dill for pickled okra).

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2020, 04:20 »
Pulled weeds, including way too much Hedera ivy.  Tied ever-growing tomatoes to stakes.  Harvested some tomatoes.  Took stock of peppers (Mild Banana; Serrano Chilies; Cayenne; sweet bell peppers, all of which have fruit now).  Noted the plants which need to be treated with B. thuringiensis spray tomorrow.

Eric44

« Reply #217 on: August 19, 2020, 15:08 »
Dug up my maincrop potatoes after seeing blight on the leaves, sowed a row of early carrots, a row of Spring cabbage and a row of swede. Weeded my leek bed.

snowdrops

« Reply #218 on: August 31, 2020, 06:41 »
Well Sunday actually, I cut down all my greenhouse tomato plants as they were spent.  :(  I’d reduced the amount of plants this year as for the last couple of years I’ve had issues with mould on the stems & trusses & the same again this year, the crop has been poor as well. So whilst doing my stint at the garden club trading store I bought 2 sulphur candles to use when I finally clear everything out.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #219 on: September 08, 2020, 19:54 »
A quick visit to get some fresh air after work, fed leeks with pelleted chicken manure, pulled some weeds, sowed a few carrot seeds in pots for hopefully another successful grow in tall pots during the autumn. It is quite mild so I've put some directly into a raised bed too.

Eric44

« Reply #220 on: September 12, 2020, 13:58 »
The carrots that I sowed a few weeks ago are growing away but the spring cabbage and swede that I sowed on the same day, although looking good last week, have all disappeared. Slugs! Finished preparing my onion bed for my Senshu Yellow later this month. Harvested a few more leeks. Will try sowing some more Spring cabbage but this time in cells to hopefully transplant later.

wneva

« Reply #221 on: September 16, 2020, 19:58 »
Today I set up our new compost bin - it's one of those dalek things.   Now we're  thinking about what to put in it! Food waste from home is easy - but that about the weeds and other stuff from  the allotment itself?  In particular what about couch grass and bindweed? 

We have had a couch grass problem ever since we started on the lottie - after the parish council helpfully rotovated the plot before we took it on.  This meant they cut up all the couch grass roots and spread them over most of the allotment.  I've spent the last 12 years digging out the couch, with help from glyphosate at times.   But there are still couch bits on almost every bed, and bindweed roots as well.  Can I compost these?  or should I keep them apart from the ordinary chickweed and other annual weeds that appear all the time?

Where do I get advice on what I can tip into the dalek?

Cheers - Neville

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2020, 20:21 »
Today I set up our new compost bin - it's one of those dalek things.   Now we're  thinking about what to put in it! Food waste from home is easy - but that about the weeds and other stuff from  the allotment itself?  In particular what about couch grass and bindweed? 

We have had a couch grass problem ever since we started on the lottie - after the parish council helpfully rotovated the plot before we took it on.  This meant they cut up all the couch grass roots and spread them over most of the allotment.  I've spent the last 12 years digging out the couch, with help from glyphosate at times.   But there are still couch bits on almost every bed, and bindweed roots as well.  Can I compost these?  or should I keep them apart from the ordinary chickweed and other annual weeds that appear all the time?

Where do I get advice on what I can tip into the dalek?

Cheers - Neville

Right here on this website is as good any place to get started!

https://www.allotment-garden.org/composts-fertilisers/composting-making-compost/

Eric44

« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2020, 11:59 »
Planted my onion sets, Senshyu Yellow and 20 cloves of garlic, Czechmate.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2020, 03:31 »
Planted lettuce, spinach, brussels sprouts yesterday for the winter garden. Tomorrow I'll plant swiss chard, snow peas and snap peas.  If the rain holds off, I'll dig some drainage around a planned new raised bed.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:56 by Subversive_plot »

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post April 16, 2024, 13:54
by Ali T

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 55 queries.