Decent hen feeder.

• 2 Replies

Goosegirl

Decent hen feeder.
« on: March 18, 2023, 10:23 »
We have six Plymouth Rock hens in a wire and mesh enclosure. The ground was once grass but they have such big feet that it's been paddled up and now consists of bare soil (or mud when it rains). We had one of those round hen feeders with a top on but the feed kept getting wet and wouldn't fall out of the container so we ditched it and just sprinkled their feed on two small concrete areas. Trouble is that it keeps getting dirty despite scraping it off daily. OH says that they so love scratting around for feed in the soil/ mud and just let them be. Is this ok because I'll be putting it in their pen onto areas where their feet have brought soil mixed with their poo.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Decent hen feeder.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 15:40 »
I would say no it is not OK.  They need access to feed all day and if it disappears into a soil/poo mix that means they will have to eat contaminated feed.  It is asking for trouble with internal parasites.

If the run is not covered, you should consider putting a proper roof on it to offer shelter, shade and protection from bird flu.  As a quick fix, put up a small shelter just to keep the feed under.  My big run is roofed, but drips in places, so I have a smaller shelter within made of blue water pipe hoops with a small run cover over it like this.

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/rabbit_products/eglu_rabbit_weather_protection/10507/heavy_duty_cover_for_eglu_go_and_classic_-_half_length/

I only used it because I had it anyway.  It doesn’t need to be an Omlet one.

snowdrops

Re: Decent hen feeder.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 17:45 »
I agree with NS, my run is covered entirely with Onduline over weld mesh. The feeder is a treadle feeder & didn’t take long for them to suss out how to get food, that stays clean & dry. They stand on the treadle to open it & when they get off it closes. The downside of my enclosed run is they never go outside so I take greens into them & all the weeds go their way. Plus I have hanging bird type feeders, cabbages,apples every day for them
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
A decent coop?

Started by CluelessCarrot on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 18:42
by henamoured
xx
Decent utility Light Sussex near Derby?

Started by kopperdrake on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 12:02
by kopperdrake
xx
where to put the feeder

Started by Sarah J on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 13:38
by Porffor
question
feeder help

Started by Soozie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 12:27
by Soozie

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 39 queries.