How much water?

• 3 Replies

Elm street

• Experienced Member
How much water?
« on: April 25, 2015, 12:00 »
Being new to greenhouses, how much water do tomatoes, peppers, chillies and cucumbers take?
They are in pots that have had their bottoms cut out and buried half their depth in the greenhouse border.
Tomatoes in 10ltr pots, peppers & chillies in 5ltr pots and cucumbers in a flower bucket!
I have an automatic timer on the water supply from 5 water butts, it has a 16mm main hose and 6mm hoses from that to the plant pots, each pot gets 1.2ltrs of water in 10mins currently set to 3 times a day.

Thanks for any replies!!

gypsy

Re: How much water?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 16:02 »
While the plants are small I probably give them about 500mls or less daily. Once we get into summer and the plants are quite big when it is cool and cloudy I give mine about a litre or less a day, in the height of a good summer I water with about a litre 2- 3 times a day, mine are in pots so I can lift the pot and gauge how much water they need from the weight of the pot.
Catherine

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:21 »
Thanks for that Gypsy!
I have been keeping an eye on the watering and it does seem excessive at the moment, I have dropped it back to twice a day  :)

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 22:22 »
i grow direct in the ground and use up turned 1.5l squash bottles (one per plant) with the top cut off, like a funnel. i fill these up once a day, during the hotter days to come i will fill them twice a day.

i find doing it this way the water is going to the place where it's needed, especially during the hot days.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 39 queries.