Raspberry wine from wild yeast.

• 8 Replies

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
Raspberry wine from wild yeast.
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:03 »
We've had so many raspberries from our plot, the better half has made a load of jam. So I got to thinking about having a go at making a wine were you let mother nature do the work. So has I've already made a couple of galls of raspberry wine I thought I'll do a gall and see if the natural yeast that's about will do it's job. Well within a couple of days there were bubbles in the FV, I left it for 5 days and it's now in a DJ.....

The top "crust" is a mixture of foam and raspberry material, I think I'll leave it for a while then rack it into another DJ, I'm curious to see what it'll turn out like taste wise.
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
Re: Raspberry wine from wild yeast.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 13:01 »
I did a similar experiment with cider and wild yeast, hope your wine tastes better! ::)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 13:12 »

You really should try and keep the 'air gap' on top of the wine down to a minimum.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 14:26 »
I did a similar experiment with cider and wild yeast, hope your wine tastes better! ::)

Ooo dear... :(  arrr well nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say....It may turn out to be a good wine.. :dry:  I'll have to wait and see. ::)

You really should try and keep the 'air gap' on top of the wine down to a minimum. Cheers,   Tony.

The reason for the gap Kletiwallah is it was going like a bomb and I didn't want it to come up through the airlock. I have a small bottle to top up with when I rack..

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 12:01 »
Racked it this morning..and topped it up still going like a train..

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 12:16 »
I make raspberry vodka using wild yeast and it works fine, so hopefully your wine will be OK  :)

If you have any rasps left, try the vodka.  Layer rasps and sugar in a demijohn.  Ferment for 6 weeks - the rasps dissolve and the whole lot becomes liquid.  Strain and mix with vodka.  You need a minimum of 30% vodka to preserve the drink, but I usally end up at about 40% to cut the sweetness  :)

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 13:16 »
Wild yeast fermenting is always a leap in the dark - it is not until significant time and messing about have gone by that you discover whether you have a pleasant drink or simply a colourful drain cleaner....

That said, some serendipity brews turn out to be absolutely amazingly good, the sort where  you wish you had made three times as much but which by the very nature of them are of course unrepeatable.   
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 14:22 »
I make raspberry vodka using wild yeast and it works fine, so hopefully your wine will be OK  :)

I got a blackberry vodka on the go, but we still have loads of raspberries up the lottie, think that could have legs.

Wild yeast fermenting is always a leap in the dark - it is not until significant time and messing about have gone by that you discover whether you have a pleasant drink or simply a colourful drain cleaner....   

This was a shot in the dark.. ;) it's something I've always wanted to have a go at and see how it turns out. Like you say if it's a good wine I'll kick myself I only did a gallon. :mad:

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 15:05 »
Those wild yeasts are all around us. Best make use of them ey. It would be rude not to

Good luck with it. I hope it's going to be a good year for vin rasp  :)

xx
WILD PLUM WINE

Started by yamandmole on Homebrew

21 Replies
Last post January 03, 2012, 09:15
by tadpole
clip
Top up or not top up raspberry wine

Started by Sprogg on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2018, 19:52
by grinling
xx
I bottled the raspberry syrup wine

Started by thedadtony on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 22:26
by grinling
xx
Raspberry and rhubarb wine - recipe ?

Started by poultrygeist on Homebrew

14 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 12:12
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 36 queries.