Knife Crime

• 6 Replies

mrs bouquet

Knife Crime
« on: September 29, 2023, 13:16 »
Reading about a teenager losing her life due to a stabbing, has made me wonder how this can be dealt with.
I wonder if the offender should be made to go to the mortuary to view the person they killed.   Perhaps this might make the offenders think twice.    Hard - yes, but it must get harder for these murderers.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Knife Crime
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 15:25 »
Sadly, I don’t think that would affect them much  >:(

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 09:11 »
Some people advocate that the offender meets the family face-to-face either in a room or in court. I know that some families really want this to be mandatory. It's when the offender is mentally unstable that poses the big problem as to were they aware of their actions. If that was the case, the M'Naghten rule for an insanity defence or "an excuse of provocation due to a temporary mental state" are what the defence would go for.
Whichever way, knife crime or using any sort of weapon to kill will never be stopped. I believe that some young kids carry weapons as a means of defence. What a way to grow up.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 10:41 »
Whichever way, knife crime or using any sort of weapon to kill will never be stopped. I believe that some young kids carry weapons as a means of defence. What a way to grow up.
Carrying large weapons like machetes or zombie knifes could easily be reduced dramatically but the steps needed to do it are unpopular and when attempts have been made before there has been significant pushback.

I doubt knife crime will ever be controlled but the damage from an old school 2-3" pen knife blade is significant different to what's happening today.

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 16:00 »
Perhaps if unacceptable behaviour was dealt with from a much younger age we might start to see a difference. The tendency now is to continually turn a blind eye to younger children's misdeeds for fear of upsetting anyone and this is what leads to out of control youngsters. Plus, of course, minimal input from parents and the lack of diversionary clubs etc that would, perhaps, encourage them into a more positive outlook. Guiding youngsters who are not academic into apprenticeships/training in something that interests them would also be better than forcing them to stay in education when, by the age of fourteen or so, they have lost all interest. Not everyone is academic, but many of these youngsters would be interested in mechanics, carpentry, electrical, aspects of building work, etc.  If they could shine at something perhaps they would be more engaged and less likely to come under the influence of life's losers.

wighty

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 16:24 »
I remember my boyfriend as he was at the time, later to become my first husband, coming home to the flat we shared  as he had had a 6ft tall and wide father 'begging' him to do the 'old style Copper's thing' of 'clipping his son round the ear'.  This was back  in about 1980 and as Police officers we were not allowed to do that sort of thing any more.  I remember being told off by a Policeman for cycling on the pavement ,  (10 years old,) I went home in tears convinced | was going to prison.  There is no 'result' now for bad actions.  Those are the best words I could come up with ,cause and affect ,effect.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 08:47 »
I so agree with jaydig re- parents bringing children up properly. "Manners maketh man," respect your elders, saying no and meaning it instead of giving in and all that, but there is a greater depth to this problem. If a child is used to seeing others with knives, drugs, whatever, they'll want to be accepted as a member of the club and I can understand that. Perhaps if children felt able to talk and confide in their parents and if the parents actually listened to them without them thinking they'd get into trouble, and for them to understand the responsibilities of one's own possible wrong actions, maybe it would help somewhat. Dunno. Just my rather naïve view.

xx
Well, she's gone...under the knife.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

21 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 14:56
by Debz

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 41 queries.