Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
Re: Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.
« Reply #255 on: January 29, 2011, 01:14 »
interesting images coming to mind :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #256 on: January 29, 2011, 20:15 »

Foxes dressed in red?   Brings a new meaning to the notion of fox hunts!!  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #257 on: January 29, 2011, 21:15 »

Foxes dressed in red?   Brings a new meaning to the notion of fox hunts!!  :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BML

« Reply #258 on: January 30, 2011, 19:01 »
I am in the process of building a Hen House and run and I have run 13mm wire netting along the ground under the Hen House tacking it up a couple of inches above the ground line to the Hen House.  I have done the same with the run which has 13mm wire netting running along the ground with a covering of gravel.  The 13mm wire mesh is held down with a foundation of concrete blocks with the wire netting folded over with the frame work of the run covered with the same 13mm wire netting including the roof sitting on top of that so I hope that is Fox proof.
Is one alowed to set Fox Snares now days?

hillfooter

« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2011, 21:13 »
I am in the process of building a Hen House and run and I have run 13mm wire netting along the ground under the Hen House tacking it up a couple of inches above the ground line to the Hen House.  I have done the same with the run which has 13mm wire netting running along the ground with a covering of gravel.  The 13mm wire mesh is held down with a foundation of concrete blocks with the wire netting folded over with the frame work of the run covered with the same 13mm wire netting including the roof sitting on top of that so I hope that is Fox proof.
Is one alowed to set Fox Snares now days?

When you say wire netting do you mean weld mesh made from crossing wire strands at right angles which are welded at the crossing points which if made from 19swg wire are generally regarded as fox proof?   Or do you mean what is often called chicken wire netting which is made by twisting parallel strands together at intervals forming a sort of hexagonal mesh which is not fox proof since the twists can be untwisted by a fox chewing the fence.   If the latter you are probably wasting your efforts.

Generally a fox proof fence requires a 6 foot high weld mesh protected against a fox climbing it with an electric strand 2/3rds the way up or with an 18inch outward overhang and either protected against digging with an electrified strand at ground level 9inches or so about 18inchs outside the net or burried 18inches deep or bent out 18inches and weighed down with flagstones.

The alternative to having a high fence is a totally enclosed mesh aviary type enclosure.

Another option is a 4 foot electric net (not fence).

HF
Truth through science.

trencherpilot

« Reply #260 on: April 27, 2011, 16:31 »
I know it isn't the pc way of detering foxes, but I have the ultimate deterrant. A shotgun!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #261 on: April 27, 2011, 17:15 »
Sorry but they are not suitable for most backyard chicken keepers. Most do not have shotguns or the licence to hold one also they should not be used in close proximity to dwellings.
Staffies are softer than you think.

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2011, 23:29 »
I found the foxes den,it took a while but you can sometimes catch a whifff of the fox,anyhow ive taken to walking my dogs down there most nights,a few times they have flushed the fox and had her legging it,she is too quick for them.

Thrift

« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2011, 08:35 »
Quite a few foxes lurking at the moment but Ben, our neighbour's collie who is just 12months now is doing a good job.

He comes and minds the hens while they have their field outings and has now learned to sniff out a prowler and give chase. Earns his biccies  :)  he's a clever chap!

chandy

« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2011, 11:10 »
Only had the chickens a month a one been taken by three young foxes this morning. Preparing myself to tell children this evening.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2011, 11:24 »
not just foxes - recently we had a mink attack and 10 taken so please be on guard and always lock them up at night.

Spana

« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2011, 17:56 »
Most of mine are shut in every night but a few hens and 2 Guinea fowl roost in one of the cattle barns.

Just after mid-night last night there was a right commotion.  I dashed out with a torch to find 1 guinea hiding in a corner, the other gone. 

Had a look round this morning and found a pile of Guinea feathers at the end of the cattle yard by the electric poultry netting.  A fox i think had obviously had a struggle jumping the netting with the guinea in his mouth.  Felt really sad as i like my Guineas  :(

Couple of hours latter I was out doing the drinkers when something across the fields caught my eye.  I could hardly believe it but  there he was, coming home :happy:

I dont really know what happened and can only make a guess. He doesn't look to bad but they have both been very quiet and subdued all day.

One very lucky Guinea Fowl :)

broodyhen

« Reply #267 on: May 18, 2011, 20:55 »
^ thats a lovely story  :)

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #268 on: May 24, 2011, 20:04 »
Only had the chickens a month a one been taken by three young foxes this morning. Preparing myself to tell children this evening.

We lost one this morning, unfortunately the children were having breakfast at the time and heard and saw all the commotion. Sobbing and wailing followed, but all calm now.

Poor Dorcus  :(
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

evie2

« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2011, 21:27 »
No, that's awful, poor Dorcus :(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen
xx
Third time broody this year, will this be last?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 17:22
by gracie

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 40 queries.