Polytunnel cover

• 8 Replies

Margot L

Polytunnel cover
« on: September 28, 2008, 21:18 »
Hi

I have recently joined and have a question for those that have experience of polytunnels.  We were lucky enough to buy a property with 3 polytunnel frames, at the time we bought it two had covers but one has been destroyed by the harsh weather.  I am looking to replace it but don't know what to get.

I am looking to use what for me is a local supplier - Highland Polytunnels (www.highlandpolytunnels.co.uk - for anyone willing to look at what options I have).  They have 8 different types ranging from clear polythene to something called polytherm plus.  I can't see on their website what would be best for growing vegetables - it seems to refer to flowers more.  I am intending to get in touch with them but wondered if anyone here could maybe give me some helpful advice so I have an idea of what to ask / what I should be looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Margot
I wanted to be Barbara but my friends say I'm definitely Margot

owein

• Experienced Member
Polytunnel cover
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:26 »
I used this stuff the last time I covered the polytunnel:
http://www.polytheneone.com/polytunnel_polythene_sterilite_mdf.htm
Its good, was a good pice, and we have had good results from it. Delivery was quick too It doesnt eliminate all the mildew mind!

Tou want to go for something that keeps as much heat in as possible, which polytherm plus shold, it will also diffuse the sunlight somewhat.

Margot L

Polytunnel cover
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 14:32 »
Quote from: "owein"
I used this stuff the last time I covered the polytunnel:

Its good, was a good pice, and we have had good results from it. Delivery was quick too It doesnt eliminate all the mildew mind!

Tou want to go for something that keeps as much heat in as possible, which polytherm plus shold, it will also diffuse the sunlight somewhat.

Hi Owein

Thanks for taking the time to answer.  I spoke to the Highland company this morning and they recommended either the Sterilite Premium or the Plytherm Plus so seems to tie in with what you are saying.

Thanks for the link to your supplier.  I have to admit I like to use local suppliers where possible to support their trade in the area.  I compared prices and they are much the same.

How easy is it to put the cover on?  I'm thinking of throwing a polytunnel cover party for the neighbours - with a hot toddy when we're finished!

Margot

Gwiz

Polytunnel cover
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 17:21 »
hello margot,
I'm sorry I can't help you with the suppliers, but there are a number of posts regarding fitting a cover on a polytunnel in this section.
It would seem that your idear of many hands make......... is by far the best bet!!!
If you can't find the back posts, give me a shout and I'll see if I can find them for you. :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Polytunnel cover
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 17:23 »
If you go into that link that owein gave you Margot, and click on sheeting instructions, its got a good pdf file with little pictures showing how to do it!!

muntjac

Polytunnel cover
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 17:28 »
we just got ours from highland polytunnels if memory serves .no doubt her washup will tell me if im wrong  :lol:
still alive /............

Margot L

Polytunnel cover
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 20:01 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
If you go into that link that owein gave you Margot, and click on sheeting instructions, its got a good pdf file with little pictures showing how to do it!!

Thanks Annie.  When I ordered the cover today I asked if it came with instructions.  I was told no, but it would be obvious when laying it out on the ground what was necessary.

The instructions on that link are fab.  With the temperature up here at the moment think I better make some soup too for the party!  

Margot

Margot L

Polytunnel cover
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 20:03 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
we just got ours from highland polytunnels if memory serves .no doubt her washup will tell me if im wrong  :lol:

Muntjac

I'm sure she will!    :)  

How did you get on?  Did you just get a cover or a complete polytunnel?

Which part of Scotland are you in?

Thanks

Margot

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Polytunnel cover
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 22:12 »
Soup AND a hot toddy, now that sounds nice, I'm just in the wrong part of the country!!!! lol

Brian and I put our tunnel up ourselves, but we could have done with another pair of hands 2 pairs just weren't enough, especially when it got a bit windy!!!!    :lol:  :lol:

xx
Polytunnel cover

Started by GraciesGran on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2021, 06:55
by GraciesGran
xx
Fitting a polytunnel cover

Started by mumof4 on Equipment Shed

24 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 21:24
by mumof4
xx
Cheap cover for a polytunnel

Started by animal mad on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post December 02, 2012, 15:55
by mumofstig
xx
new cover

Started by wrinkly1 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 06:20
by arugula

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 39 queries.