mud , woodchip winter flooring

• 2 Replies

karlooben

mud , woodchip winter flooring
« on: February 07, 2010, 16:30 »
i have dug my run over again today while i was doing it i was wandering wether it was better to just leave it as soil over the winter but then to add the woodbark for the summer , last summer the bark lasted so much longer an didnt smell half as bad but now its all wet an digusting from the rain an snow ,getting any woodbark delievered over the winter months is near on impossiable as the tracks into the allotments gets to boggy . i cant tarpaulin the roof as if and when it snows the weight will just bring the whole lot down .

what do u guys reckon bare soil winter months only ??
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

ehs284

Re: mud , woodchip winter flooring
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 17:08 »
Sounds like you haven't a lot of choice for the rest of this winter, but can you stock up in the summer? Cover a mound or big bags to keep out rain and use through next winter. It does make life so much easier, safer and cleaner.

skywatcher

Re: mud , woodchip winter flooring
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 22:00 »
I didn't realise how badly the site I chose for our coop would drain. Once the grass had gone it was bare earth but after heavy rain it was a boggy mess, which clearly wasn't good for the birds.

We have lots of conifer hedges here, which I hadn't trimmed for a while as I couldn't be bothered to take the clippings to the dump, there are too many for the green bin and a bonfire wasn't an option. I took the opportunity to give them a severe cut a few weeks ago and with about five barrow loads of clippings I covered our 3m x 3m run with a nice deep layer. Once they are soiled I'll trim another boundary and do the same. I had previously tried wood chippings, kindly donated by a neighbour but they just sank into the mud.

Obviously you don't want to put the clippings on your crops after cleaning out the run (too acidic) but they are free. If you don't have conifers then look around your local area for someone with them - you can offer a free trim and take away the clippings.

xx
Mud, mud, glorious (not) mud .. winter flooring

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 31, 2009, 21:20
by chooksbury
xx
woodchip

Started by TINTIN on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 20:46
by richyrich7
xx
Really Worried - woodchip

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 15:31
by beulah59
xx
Woodchip/shavings question.

Started by Rubellite on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 17:16
by Fifitrix

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 35 queries.