blue eggs

• 12 Replies
blue eggs
« on: January 20, 2012, 13:03 »
hiya i like blue eggs but what chickens lay blue eggs only know of one chicken that dose and id like to buy sum more but what chickens lay them any help plzzz :)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: blue eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 13:23 »
Araucanas do and I think the cream legbars do too.
I'd like a couple of araucanas one day, they are lovely and funny looking to boot.  :D

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 16:20 »
Hi - yes Araucana can lay blue eggs, as do Cream Legbars and Cotwold Legbars, also I think someone has bred a line of blue egg laying Dorkings.  Also Easter Eggers can lay blue .  Type Blue Eggs into Google and see what comes up  ;)
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

twigs

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 16:42 »
I keep ameruacana bantams, they lay a lovely sky blue egg, I have crossed these with my marans to produce hens that lay an olive egg, wonderful colour.  I have pairs of ameruacana for sale but probably too far from you in East Anglia  :ohmy:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 19:38 »
all the blue egg laying chickens have Araucana genes in them. Even pure breed Araucana hens can lay grey through to green eggs so it is always best as with any pure breed bird to check the stock and it's history  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 20:54 »
I have pairs of ameruacana for sale but probably too far from you in East Anglia  :ohmy:
No buying or selling is allowed on the forum, please use the classified ads for this purpose.
Cheese makes everything better.

sarajane

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 23:51 »
One of our chooks (lily) lays pretty olive green eggs but for the life of me we do not know the name of her breed but she is a lovely beige colour. Will try and upload a photo of her later.

However, I do have to say she is very very intermittent with her laying and we get twice as many eggs from our others, a Rhode Island Red, White Legbar, Black Rock and a White Sussex.  She, bless her is the only chook that regularly  goes broody and whilst we adore her, she is soooo pretty, that we forgive her but would next time go for a less tempermental breed.

twigs

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 09:08 »
Apologies Moderators, new to forum and havent read through rules fully, again, apologies  :(

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 09:38 »
I have crested legbars that lay pale blue - greeny blue eggs.  Quite good layers in the warmer months but have stopped at the moment. Quite skittish birds, although one that we hand-reared is quite friendly and cheeky.
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 10:39 »
Apologies Moderators, new to forum and havent read through rules fully, again, apologies  :(
As it's a first offence we will suspend the thumbscrews and leg breaking we normally dish out. :lol:

twigs

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 10:36 »
Crikey, better watch out...x
 :ohmy:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 19:12 »
Cream legbars definately lay blue eggs.

Our legbar, 'Gatty' is a beautiful chicken and lays the most amazing blue eggs. Hubby bought her from the farm where we stay on holiday, when we were new to chicken keeping as a wedding anniversary present.

DIdn't realise how badly henpecked she would be by the other chickens because she was one on her own. We know better now.

I desperately wanted to take one of the cockerals too but hubby wouldn't let me, said it would upset the neighbours.

SO we bought a cream legbar cross, Scatty', the same age to keep her company until we could integrate both of them  with the rest of the hooligans. The cream legbar cross laid olive green eggs. Unfortunately Scatty was not as robust as the pure breed legbar and she died after 2 years. Gatty is still going strong and laying lovely eggs.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 19:15 »
some do but others will lay olive green eggs. All the blue egg layers will have the araucana gene in them as they are the only true blue egg layers.

xx
Home-hatched copper-blue Marans eggs

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 18:13
by PaulineM
xx
We got a blue one at last

Started by Mr Mole on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post December 24, 2010, 21:32
by joyfull
xx
Blue poo

Started by themagicaltoad1 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2012, 17:02
by nerdle
xx
Yay...Blue Egg

Started by D on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 21:45
by cammi

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 39 queries.