some advice please-poorly hen

• 6 Replies

Flump

• Experienced Member
some advice please-poorly hen
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:38 »
Hi all,my hen has been poorly for a while.She is an ex-batt.I took her to the vets a couple of weeks ago.She was underweight and sat hunched in the garden.She had an antibiotic injection and a week of Flubenvet and picked up a bit.Yesterday I let the chickens out(it was freezing here) and she just didn't look right.She opened her beak a bit as if struggling for breath.I brought her inside .She is eating and drinking well.Doesn't seem to have any respiratory distress.She is pottering around the kitchen.She passed a large quantity of water and I now wonder if it was a shelless egg.Her poos vary between normal or soft and very smelly.I thought about getting her some Ivermectin but I don't know where to get it from(just incase it's Gape worm,can you always see these in the throat?).Any advice would be appreciated,
thanks.

Sassy

Re: some advice please-poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 08:49 »
The Flubenvet is a wormer I don't know if it treats gapeworm. I'm sure someone who knows will be along shortly.

It sounds as though you are doing everything you can. Good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:55 »
yes it does treat gapeworm  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:19 »
My buff orp came to us with gape worm. I treated with flubenvet, but double strength, on the vets advice of course

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:22 »
Could you see the Gapeworms in her throat?could you tell me what other symptoms she had please?

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 09:41 »
i couldnt see the gape, but i acted very quickly. Within 3 days of her being here she had been seen by the vet, given an injection and started flubenvet. Her symptoms started (the ones that i noticed) with her sitting with her beak open, like she was panting. the first day, i put this down to stress. The scond day she was still doing this but looked like she was 'gagging' the third day i made a vets appointment, by the time she had got there mid afternoon, she was gagging and throwing her head back with her beak open, she was making strange movements with her head and neck, like she had something stuck. It you suspect gape i would take her to the vets, just in case its not, because you dont want to worm her twice in quick succession if she dosent need it!  :)

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 18:20 »
thanks dizzylizzie.She isn't throwing her head back or gagging.The vet saw her a fortnight ago and looked in her throat and she's been wormed since.That holding her beak open and panting type thing was what she was doing so I brought her in.She hasn't done it since,but I don't know if she'd do it if stressed.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Advice for poorly hen please

Started by Kazoo on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 13:53
by Flowerpower136
xx
Poorly hen - advice please!

Started by e_hothersall on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 11:36
by e_hothersall
xx
Poorly hen - advice please?

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 02, 2014, 18:47
by Maeve

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 39 queries.