Does my Chuck look ill??

• 19 Replies

cbv8

Does my Chuck look ill??
« on: October 01, 2013, 15:21 »
Hi All,
Whilst doing some work in my Chicken pen today i noticed how pale one of my Chucks is getting i had one die a couple of weeks ago who went the same colour :( they have been wormed and had antibiotics  :unsure: This Chuck has stopped laying but seems happy enough see pics it's the one on the right a right little cheeky * she pecks my butt trainers hairs on your legs etc when i'm working in the pen then scurries off  :ohmy: any advice much appreciated  ;)
ill 005.jpg
ill 006.jpg

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Does my Chuck look ill??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 17:58 »
She does look really pale.  You mention them being wormed (what with?) and they had antibiotics (what antibiotics, what for and were they prescribed by your vet?)   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

cbv8

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 18:32 »
She does look really pale.  You mention them being wormed (what with?) and they had antibiotics (what antibiotics, what for and were they prescribed by your vet?)   :)
My Daughter got the wormer from the chicken farm where she works she put a drop behind there necks the antibiotic was also from the farm and applied to the water sorry i don't know the names of them  :wacko:

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 19:30 »
The only tested/licensed wormer I know of for chickens is flubenvet which is a powder added to their food or you can also get food with it already added.  I would not recommend using any wormer other than flubenvet unless advised by a vet.  If it is for commercial use it is probably under the supervision/authorisation of a vet.  The same with antibiotics, were they specifically for hens and what were you treating them for?  There are egg withdrawal times that a vet would advise you on and they would need to diagnose what was wrong before prescribing the right medication.   :(

barley

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 19:39 »
just a thought

I have 2 went pale and quiet - they are now moulting a lot of feathers - it is about the time of year they moult so could possibly be the onset of a moult - it really takes it out of them when they moult and they stop laying

splash101

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 21:35 »
Is it possible the drops for behind their necks were ivermectin?

cbv8

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 10:29 »
Thanks for all the replies my daughter has just told me the treatment names were vermex and denaguard if that helps i think/hope Barley is right as my chucks are shedding quite a lot of feathers at the moment but why only one pale  :unsure:

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 10:59 »
Verm-X is a herbal preventative for worms in powder form or liquid to add to water.  It is not proven to kill worms so you would be best to worm them with flubenvet.

You still haven't said why you were giving your poultry Denagard.  Antibiotics need to be prescribed and there are specific antibiotics for different infections so they should not be given without a consultation.

You may have red mite in your coop cbv8, that could be the cause of your other birds death and the pale colouring of this one.  Best to check by using a piece of paper under the perches and in any crevices, you will get red blood on the paper if they are present.   :)

cbv8

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:33 »
Hi ANHBUC,
The reason i gave my chucks antibiotics is because a couple of them seemed lifeless and were not eating and the paleness of them after applying the antibiotic they seemed to pick up yes one died a couple of weeks ago but it looked like an heart attack  :(  I have had red mite but only in the grey stage i have not seen any at the red mite stage i powder regularly with splight the mite and spray with dettol/zoflora both diluted which seems to work  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:50 »
It is best not to give them antibiotics unless they have an infection.  I believe Denagard is to treat respiratory infections.  The paleness and lifelessness could be down to red mites.  They are really difficult to eradicate so if you have had them in the past I would be investigating to see if that is the cause.  If it is not red mite it may be better to take your ill hen to the vets to see if they can find the cause before you lose any more.   :)

Do you mean smite spray?  If so that is meant to be a mite spray which cleans and disinfects so you don't need to add detol/zoflora.  Always make sure any spray has dried and the coop is thoroughly aired before your hens are let back in.   I use Stalosan F powder as a disinfectant after cleaning the coop I just sprinkle a little in the bedding and the poop trays.  It is suitable for poultry and you can also use it on the soil in their run.  ;)

cbv8

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 09:55 »
ANHBUC,
After removing the perches in my coop what do i find in the corners where there perches sit  ::) yes bl*&dy red mite in bunches so you were right  :blush: looks like i need to find some decent mite killer and drop the dettol/zoflora as it is obviously not working thanks again for the advice  ;) 

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 13:21 »
Glad you found the cause before you lost anymore birds.  If you can treat and clean the coop on a hard surface like a driveway the mites will have less chance of climbing back in to the coop.  ;)

cbv8

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 13:59 »
Glad you found the cause before you lost anymore birds.  If you can treat and clean the coop on a hard surface like a driveway the mites will have less chance of climbing back in to the coop.  ;)
Thanks i think i am going to use my steam cleaner on the coop first now this bit sounds a bit dangerous :ohmy: and after the steaming i am going to put my little parrafin heater in there to dry it out under my watchful eye :D Hopefully will kill what ble*ders left with the fumes and monoxide well that's the theory anyway  :tongue2: has anyone ever though of using one of those sulpher bombs that you use in the greenhouse  :nowink:

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 14:35 »
I think some have used insecticide bombs but I would not like to say they are safe as it would be using it for something it has not been tested for.  The chemicals could be harmful to your flock and there may be a chance they could be transferred to their eggs.

One member was going to use a can of the pipe freeze plumbers use but he/she did not post on the outcome.

cbv8

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 19:23 »
Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice i did steam paraffin Jeyes and then dry with my oil heater my coop it did kill lots of RM but there are still a few of the little feck*rs alive  >:( On a plus note my pale sickley hens are now getting some colour back into thier combs so it was obviously the RM doing them in  :ohmy: I have now sent for some Poultry Shield so hopefully i can keep on top of the RM and keep my babies happy and content ;)

xx
Is my chuck on the way out??

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 26, 2013, 20:43
by cbv8
xx
My chuck is not well.

Started by smith47 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 16:26
by ANHBUC
xx
Help! Poorly Chuck

Started by Gerty333 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 21:44
by joyfull
xx
Poorly chuck

Started by cool chick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 12:20
by cool chick

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 32 queries.