molehills everywhere, anyone with any experience of eradicating moles?

• 21 Replies

upthetump

• Experienced Member
Hi all,

not been to my plot for a few weeks as I have recently moved my chickens to the other side of the village. When I went to my old plot yesterday it was riddled with mole hills. Has anyone else had a similar problem and successfully eradicated it? As always, very grateful if anyone can take time out to help me. thanks.

woodburner

Not sure that my case is at all typical, but i had some molehills under weed suppressing fabric last summer, but I haven't seen any more since I forked it over to get rid of the couch grass. (The fabric was too thin to do the job on it's own. )
I don't know if it/they might come back next summer, when the groundsmen get rid of them from the neighbouring playing field though . . .  :nowink:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
I'm not much help either I'm afraid! Unless you want to rent out our dog?  she keeps our garden mole free!!!!   :) :)

Mr B

Hi Upthethump,
         Moth balls down the holes is surpose to work according to my old Dad.
Regards,
Chris

string bean

Hi
I had the same problem.  Eventually I took my wife's advice, and hammered a stake into each molehill.  The next morning I had another molehill.  However I left the stakes intact, and I haven't seen a molehill since.  Luck? Coincidence?  But it worked.  I've removed the stakes and it's been some months since I've seen a molehill.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
Moles seem to have done very well  over the last season - we have hundreds around, far more than usual. I have tried trapping with a humane trap, with some success but the latest little blighter has obviously got superior brain power to me & is outwitting all my attempts. We can only hope that their natural predators have had a good season & increased their numbers too.

Oliveview

We have had a mole problem and I´ve been putting moth balls down the holes.  Fingers crossed for this year- not saying anymore, just incase I tempt fate :unsure:
Pamela

Lynne

We have started getting moles too. I've had to replant some of my garlic. I might try the old mothball solution. Where can I buy mothballs though?
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

woodburner

Air freshener blocks used to be mainly napthalene, which is the same stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they are both banned now, though, as it's nasty stuff and many things have been banned with far less justification.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
There have been a few posts about this topic in the past, if you do a search they'll turn up  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

FCG

Humane traps are the best way. Getting a molecatcher in is the second (if he can get them alive) but not during or after the mating season as they'll leave the bbay moles in the nest.

If you're up for a laugh... jasper carrot on moles. fePU5CIHpas

tiny50

Why dont you put up a notice, with a picture of a pair of moleskin trousers on it,  and state  "any moles found tresspassing will be turned inside out and worn as shown above"  I should think any mole knowing whats good for him will stay clear. ::) ::) :lol:
WIFE SAYS i AM THE BOSS IN MY OWN SHED

Salmo

I really doubt if a notice would work as moles are nearly blind. Perhaps try brail and bury it.

The old country way is to go down to your plot when all is quiet and ask the little man in velvet to go and live somewhere else. If you ask nicely he will move away within about 10 days. It helps if you can suggest a new home such as your neighbours plot.

lacewing

I have a book called 'Country Wisdom' and it states that Moles hate the smell of Elder. Break off a few branches from the Elder tree, cut into 18in long peices, scrape the bark with a knlfe to release the smell and poke down into the molehill. Worth a try!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
I have a book called 'Country Wisdom' and it states that Moles hate the smell of Elder. Break off a few branches from the Elder tree, cut into 18in long peices, scrape the bark with a knlfe to release the smell and poke down into the molehill. Worth a try!

Hi all thanks for the replies, Lacewing, this sounds interesting as there is a very mature Elder within reaching distance across my fence. I think I'll try this first, then the stakes and then the mothballs. They may be hard to find, but someone may have 'mothballed' some  ::)

xx
ERADICATING horsetail and bindweed

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 22:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
Are molehills a good addition to the compost heap/veg patch?

Started by VickyR on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 19, 2007, 21:52
by mkhenry
xx
Moles

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2014, 08:36
by Dilly Dom
xx
Moles

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post December 02, 2011, 18:24
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 33 queries.