Ashes

• 25 Replies

brucesgirl

Ashes
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 17:56 »
Well to be honest I'm not sure what sort of ashes they are. I know he bought a wood-burning stove last year, but some of those are adapted for coal aren't they?
I really ought to ask the question, so will do that next time he mentions it.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Ashes
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 21:04 »
My Mum used to chuck the ashes from the coal fire on to the garden, swore blind it broke the clay up.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

Ashes
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 21:22 »
We have always put all ashes of the fire out in the garden (mixed: all burnable rubbish, wood and coal), for probably a century (that's just what I have as told memory), what on earth else would we have done with them :?: Never was rubbish removal in my village till quite recent few years.

Always have grown stuff, me mum did and she still does, her only complaint of the last few years is : never been this many slugs!

And I can second that, in fact I did not know till about age of 12 or so, they existed, as I never saw one in my life before (living in village farming community, etc), just a mate pointed it out to me one day on the bank, 'look bare snails' (what we like to call them) 'what?' :lol:

So on topic I'm quite unconvinced as how much and what damage they do.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Ashes
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 21:29 »
Quote from: "gobs"

None or very little IMHO, do you think the lack of slugs could be linked to the liberal use of ash ?

burlington

Ashes
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 08:52 »
We have burnt wood on a stove at home for years.

This winter, I am putting the (cold) ashes in to a dustbin in my shed. It is almost full now!

I will spread the ashes when I plant brassicas.

Martin

gobs

Ashes
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 09:49 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Quote from: "gobs"

None or very little IMHO, do you think the lack of slugs could be linked to the liberal use of ash ?

I'm skeptical about that one, rather tempted to think that building, infrastructure, traffic, etc pushed some wildlife out and disturbed natural balance.

But then, I'm just guessing.

Annie

Ashes
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 20:18 »
I put our ash around the garlic and onions and in spring start saving it to use as slug deterant,no little tiny rings of the stuff for me.Amazingly i did not have a bad slug year this year until last month when they took up residence in the last of the swedes,about 15-20 per swede :cry: Why do they leave the parsnips alone?

WG.

Ashes
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 20:37 »
Wood ash Annie?

Annie

Ashes
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 20:57 »
From two stoves WG,all wood ash and lots of it!We`re going without the central heating this year and so far are warm as toast even in this cold patch(apart fromthe morning dash for kindling in dressing gown),

gobs

Ashes
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 22:08 »
I got to come clean about this as I just had a conversation with me mum and I asked her about this(degree in biology and geography, grown up in countryside, forever an 'organic' gardener of decades), and so she said yes, but only wood ash was put on the garden, as by WG love ,coal  ash was highly toxic and got piled up on the road (I do not have any memory of this though, also it would have leached into the surroundings by weathering I wonder).

So there. :wink:

brucesgirl

Ashes
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 08:12 »
I asked him what he burns - and it is wood. So I will be able to use the ashes on the lottie.

:lol:

xx
Ashes

Started by twissle on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 11:31
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Ashes to Ashes

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 11:46
by Dominic
question
BBQ ASHES

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 23:31
by The Norfolk Turkey
xx
Fire Ashes?

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 10:34
by WG.

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 35 queries.