Painting raised beds........

• 3 Replies

The Red Baron

• Total newbie to all this green lark but willing!
Painting raised beds........
« on: May 16, 2013, 14:54 »
Afternoon all, hope the sun is out wherever you may be.
Right.....still not on my plot, the guy who has it is in no hurry to remove his bits and bobs...but hey ho, I can wait.
Anyway, I'm knee deep in my planning and design stage....I'm planning in using raised beds within the plot..and I'm just wondering...what is the best treatment to use on the wood that will form the beds? Just so I can start pricing bits and pieces up,
Thanks in advanc

Tony

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Painting raised beds........
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 15:00 »
You're as well off as anything using tanalised timber something like 4 x 1, which will probably come in 4.8 metre lengths, that way you don't need to paint it with anything. Being tanalised it is treated and wears well against the elements and damp ground. Some people are a bit nervous about having this near their food, but it isn't in direct contact. If you're really worried, you could put a plastic barrier in between the timber andsoil, but it really isn't a problem.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Chrysalis

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 20:09 »
Mine are made of gravel boards and are just crates really, within which are polypropolene bags for the veggies.

I decided to go all arty with them and have got a variety of cuprinol colours.  The salad area is all willow green; the veg. planters will be old english green; the spud planters lavender or forget-me-not.  As we grow at home, it's nice to look out of the kitchen window onto it all.  The rest of the fencing around the place and the new hen house is just normal wood preservative in oak colour.  The coloured paints were pricey but Homeb*** had an offer on a few weeks ago, so I got it then.  The henhouse stuff was ultra cheap, but good quality from H***bargains. 

Just enjoy it all! ;)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:08 »
You're as well off as anything using tanalised timber something like 4 x 1, which will probably come in 4.8 metre lengths, that way you don't need to paint it with anything. Being tanalised it is treated and wears well against the elements and damp ground. Some people are a bit nervous about having this near their food, but it isn't in direct contact. If you're really worried, you could put a plastic barrier in between the timber andsoil, but it really isn't a problem.

:)

This what we did I ain't got the patience to paint all our defined beds. Lol  :lol:

xx
painting raised beds.

Started by karlooben on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 21:51
by richyrich7
xx
Raised Beds

Started by GardenShed on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 14:23
by Goosegirl
xx
Raised beds

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post October 25, 2010, 11:25
by dexyblue
xx
Re Raised Beds

Started by Sparkyrog on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 20:05
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 35 queries.