I want to build a greenhouse

• 5 Replies

diospyros

I want to build a greenhouse
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:02 »
I have a large "workshop" with a French window at the bottom.  My idea is to have a lean-to greenhouse on the outside and also one on the inside to provide a range of growing conditions.  They would be very small in cross section due to lack of room, but tall.  Ideally I would also like to be able to take the shelves out so in the summer I could grow a cucumber or something, and in the depth of winter my pittosporum could hide in there.  I can't find anything that fits my requirements so I thought I might try and make one.  I would like to use a wooden frame for appearances sake.  Outside the greenhouse would be sitting on an area of slate chippings, inside the floor is concrete.

But I'm not sure where to start! Can anyone point me to construction tips?

Sparkyrog

Re: I want to build a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:15 »
I have a large "workshop" with a French window at the bottom.  My idea is to have a lean-to greenhouse on the outside and also one on the inside to provide a range of growing conditions.  They would be very small in cross section due to lack of room, but tall.  Ideally I would also like to be able to take the shelves out so in the summer I could grow a cucumber or something, and in the depth of winter my pittosporum could hide in there.  I can't find anything that fits my requirements so I thought I might try and make one.  I would like to use a wooden frame for appearances sake.  Outside the greenhouse would be sitting on an area of slate chippings, inside the floor is concrete.

But I'm not sure where to start! Can anyone point me to construction tips?
some pic's would help  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:50 »

I think dimentions would help more than pictures, after all, the thing aint built yet! ::)

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 16:03 »
Rather a long time ago I made all sorts of things out of Meccano, so aluminium greenhouses are a doddle, but creating a wooden greenhouse from scratch that doesn't either fall down or invite ridicule is beyond me (was only allowed to do woodwork at school for a year.  :()

I think dimensions and a photo of your existing structure would be helpful for those who do know how to design and build such things, as I'm struggling to conjure up an image of an indoor as well as an outdoor greenhouse even for starters.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:53 »
Like this? It's been up nearly 5 years and not blown away nor bottles gone green.  It's worked really well.  I've got a bottle door now.  I used an old rotary washing line for the 3 way angle (ie down and 90 degrees at top)
IMG00111.jpg
IMG00110.jpg
IMG00114.jpg

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:31 »
don't know if this link any good to you might be bit far but u can take a look
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Conservatory-/261294688932?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Conservatories_ET&hash=item3cd6608aa4
this could be just what you looking for if price is right

xx
Build a greenhouse for Under £100 (for $100 NZD)

Started by magician176 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 12:49
by greenun
xx
How to build a bottle greenhouse

Started by BobE on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 21:33
by pigguns
xx
Help!!! How to build a Greenhouse base using Paving Slabs?

Started by MichelleC on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 10:14
by arugula
xx
How to build a polytunnel?

Started by boosmummy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2011, 18:00
by boosmummy

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 40 queries.