Poorly leg/foot

• 7 Replies

yellowpenguin

Poorly leg/foot
« on: December 08, 2010, 16:19 »
I wonder if anyone has had the experience we have. We had 4 bantams. Two of them had the same markings and colouring. At 6 weeks of age one of them had to be put down as she lost the use of one of her legs. Now we have the same problem with the other one. She just lays on the floor almost on her side, and shuffles everywhere. Obviously this is no life for a chicken so she is going to go to the big coop in the sky. This latest one has been fine for weeks after the last one went. It came on almost over night, and affected her only slightly at first but has been progressing over the days. Her foot almost looks withered like some peoples limbs do after a stroke. She is a happy little thing despite hr problems. But we have to leave her food and water all within reach, and its just not aceptable for a chicken to not to be able to move around etc. I just wondered what it could be that has struck her at 3 months old, the same way her sister went at 6 weeks old.

bantam novice

Re: Poorly leg/foot
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 19:03 »
Sorry to hear about your hen.  I'm not that experienced with hen illnesses but I just wanted to wish you good luck.  I'm sure someone more experienced will be along soon to advise you.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 11:24 »
did your vet say what was the possible problem?
Please could you take this one to a vet and get them to see if it is Mareks or carry out tests to check if not this then to see what else it could be? This needs sorting out most urgently as this (if it is Mareks of one form or another) is highly contageous and if the chicken recovers they can be carriers of it for life.
Staffies are softer than you think.

yellowpenguin

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 15:46 »
The vet seemed to think it was a hereditary thing. I will now keep an eye on things just in case. We took the last one to the vet as well. I never try to second guess anything. I love my chickens and would never cut corners.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 16:13 by yellowpenguin »

yellowpenguin

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 21:13 »
Update: on further vetinary advice it is thought that it is a spinal injury, that could well improve. It seems the cock in the flock has been trying to have his way with the ladies. We are going to rest her indoors and give her some physio and see what happens over the next couple of days.

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 15:43 »
Good luck with that.  :)

I hope she gets better.  Keep us posted

yellowpenguin

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 17:35 »
Sadly our poorly chick was euthanised at the vet tonight. The vet thinks that it must be a result of in breeding. Same colour as the other one that had same problem. So sadly we have learnt a lesson, in that we will only get POL,S and from reputable chicken keepers.

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 19:06 »
 :( So sorry to hear about your chick.  You have done all you could and had to make a tough decision.

xx
Poorly Foot

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2017, 11:36
by New shoot
xx
cut foot :(

Started by amyt on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 11:04
by Hensington
xx
Cut Foot

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 18:20
by 3Bluebelles
xx
Cut Foot

Started by Nails on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 17:55
by too many girls

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 39 queries.