Soft Shells

• 5 Replies

rmatt1

Soft Shells
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:07 »
Hi All

Sorry to be a pain again, I have 3 Redbro's, 1 Brahma and 1 Orpington + 1 male Brahma. but can someone out there tell me why I get soft shells only off the Brahma and Orpington? (all the eggs)
The 3 Redbro's are fine, really good shells.
The only thing I can think of is I have only just bought the Brahma and Orpington and they wern't on very good food before I bought them ( I have had them for 4 days)
By the way I can't get Oystershell  or limestone powder out here, is there anything else I can use, there is calcium in their food (layer crumbles)
All the hens are about 7/8 months old
Many thanks again

Regards

Bob

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Re: Soft Shells
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:53 »
You can wash, Baked and crush the egg shells to feed back to them instead of oyster grit  :)

Rubellite

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:45 »
Green leafy veg are a good source too, don't know what you can get out there. (Out where?)  :unsure:

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 10:15 »
wash and cook egg shells, as has been said, grind them down in a mortal and pestle, add to some treats, grapes for example, they will go down a treat

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 21:01 »
Hi All

Sorry to be a pain again, I have 3 Redbro's, 1 Brahma and 1 Orpington + 1 male Brahma. but can someone out there tell me why I get soft shells only off the Brahma and Orpington? (all the eggs)
The 3 Redbro's are fine, really good shells.
The only thing I can think of is I have only just bought the Brahma and Orpington and they wern't on very good food before I bought them ( I have had them for 4 days)
By the way I can't get Oystershell  or limestone powder out here, is there anything else I can use, there is calcium in their food (layer crumbles)
All the hens are about 7/8 months old
Many thanks again

Regards

Bob

Hi, sorry but when you say you cant get oyster shell out here, where is 'out here'?

As other people have said egg shells would be good. Just save them in a tub, then when you have your oven on, put them in the bottom, crush them up and add to their food. Do you live near a beach? Collect oystershells, sea shells wash them really really well,then give them a good bashing to break them up, feed them to your hens ad lib. I have never tried this but a friend has and they say it works a treat. If you have only had your girls for  days , you really cant expect the nutrients you have given them to make a difference yet, im sure it will, you just need to give them time :)

raeburg

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 17:58 »
As well as grit, you can add limestone flour to the feed and give a supplement of vitamin d to aid calcium absorption.  Don't over do it as it can damage the kidneys.

xx
Soft Shells

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 09:50
by Flowerpower136
xx
soft egg shells

Started by bateschooks on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 18:40
by joshbuchan
xx
soft shells

Started by Tralou on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 16:31
by joyfull
xx
soft shells/old age?????

Started by SUTTY1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 02, 2010, 20:16
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 35 queries.