New Chick

• 14 Replies

pepsi100

New Chick
« on: January 13, 2013, 22:23 »
Posted this in the wrong place, sorry

As you know (well all those who are following me)

I bought some chicks yesterday (Saturday, 12 Jan)

They are all doing well, except for one, its legs again, I'm afraid

She/he just sort of sits back on her hauches, but cant stand up, I dont know if she needs a hobble (if she cant stand up, I cant see the point) she sort of shuffles to food and water, so she is feeding (I put a few drops of water on a cotton bud and let her take what she wants

She makes plenty of cheeping noises, but does get a bit trampled by the rest, she seems to like it under the bulb, just sort of doping off, the rest just sort of bumble about (they are now on a tea towel, (going through them quite fast now) I just had the paper while we transported them  :)

Anyway here are some photos, so any help/advice is appreciated (AGAIN)

It seems I am on here a lot over the past month or so with these chicks, I thought this was supposed to be a relaxing hobby, so what am I doing wrong here, its worrying me !!!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 22:26 by pepsi100 »
It's all about the journey, not the destination

pepsi100

Re: New Chick
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:35 »
unfortunately this one died last night, looks like she was pushed away from the heat, guess she wasnt strong enough to get back to the heat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:52 »
poor thing :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

pepsi100

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:25 »
BUT saying that, I popped her into the incubator, see if I could warm her up and revive her, there was a shade of movement there, but with legs like that I dont know if I am doing the right thing

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:27 »
if she revives then try a hobble - cant do any harm and may do a lot of good :)

pepsi100

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:45 »
she never made it, died during the night :(

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 08:46 »
poor thing :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:35 »
 :(  Sorry pepsi, you don't seem to be having much luck with your chicks.  This could be why breeders don't normally hatch at this time of the year. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 11:50 »
:(  Sorry pepsi, you don't seem to be having much luck with your chicks.  This could be why breeders don't normally hatch at this time of the year. 

He had over 100 chicks, he did hatch some Marans for me, (he hatched quite a few, just so I would hopefully get hens) they are fine,

I made up the number with other breeds, but I am not complaining, I have 10 other chicks that are all well and running about like duracell bunnies  :)

I like to think I am doing well by my chicks, they only get filtered water, they get as fesh chick crumbs as I can find, I clean them out every day (not much choice with that, they drop a lot of poo) the brooder is cleaned and disinfected, I got a heat lamp on 24/7 (at the moment) its just a fireglow bulb, it works well and keeps the temperature steady

Only thing I cant control is the vagaries of nature

When would be a good time to give them this cider vinegar ?

The chick I hatched out and wore the hobble is doing great, she runs about in a big box on her own, lets me know when she wants warming up, but thats mostly in the evening and then she is back in the brooder over night

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:58 »
I never used it for any of my chicks but I have read this before

www.backyardchickens.com/t/126086/apple-cider-vinegar-for-chicks

others I have read all say that it has to be a different concentration than you give to grown chickens.   ;)

Keep the cute photos coming.

pepsi100

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 12:05 »
Well, I have never given it to my hens before, and reading that article, I have never thought of giving them yoghurt either (wonder if they like strawberry, thats all I got  :) )

When I clean them out, I'll see what photos I can take  :) ;) ;)

splash101

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 13:44 »
Sometimes hatching goes straight forward and sometimes it seems to be plagued with problems.

We've had the odd one with dodgy legs that have recovered well with a splint, we had the odd one that hasnt made it.

We had one last year with 5 toes and webbed feet. The 5 toes i was used to the the webbed feet was a bit freaky. All of the toes were pointed forward so i dont think it would have been able to perch properly. The legs were not properly formed either so we had to despatch that one.
Had one with wry neck and some just dont manage to make it out of their shell at all.

I think we all have had our fair share of hatching problems so try not to feel to down.

My friend bought 24 eggs last year for me to hatch. Only 11 hatched and at least 7 were cockerels (if not 9 but i dont think she would admit to this)

I dont know if this would help further down the line

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dimmer-Socket-Switch-Light-Lamp-Table-Adjustable-Mains-Plug-in-UK-STOCK-/230830854234?pt=UK_Light_Fittings&hash=item35be97505a

I use them on my brooder boxes for that in between stage where they dont need full heat in the daytime but still need something, and then again much further down the line where they dont need heat at all in the day but need some at night.

pepsi100

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 14:12 »
I have had many disappointments with eggs, also had plenty of success,

I have had 5 cocks from 6 eggs, I have had 7 hens as well from 6 eggs, but this lat lot was the biggest disappointment, 2 chicks, 1 clear and 3 DIS, I didnt do anything diferent (I just asked here for other opinions and views)

I have one of these dimmers, but thanks for the link I can now buy another

Well here are a couple of photos, after I cleaned em out

I think these are camera shy  ;)

If it werent for the plague of foxes around here I wouldnt have to keep replacing them, but now I have put in a more substantial fence, wire, and electric fence (but the bloke I got the chicks from has a fence and he has said they arent much of a deterent  >:(

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 08:00 »
The ambient humidity varies depending on time of year which has an effect on the eggs as well as the fact that the cockerel and hens are not up to peak fertility outside of spring and summer again having an effect on the eggs. :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pepsi100

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:55 »
They are all doing well, the only one that survived from the eggs I hatched is now off heat

They bloke I bought my chicks from just took a break over Christmas, then mid January sarated hatching again, there was lots of eggs in the incubators, (over 300)

There were other hens of varying ages for sale

I dont know where he bought the eggs from, but there was lots of different breeds,

http://www.surbitonpoultryandhenhouses.co.uk/

I dont think the eggs were from all his hens, he couldnt keep an eye on all the cocks and who they mated with and most of the mature birds ran loose, just put away at night

CAN hatching eggs be bought whole sale from different breeders ?

I guess only time will tell what I have, cocks or hens

;)

xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
chick not well

Started by shaunie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2009, 21:28
by Hawkins
xx
only one chick!

Started by massa on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 13:45
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 30 queries.