some advice with Tayberry

• 13 Replies

nemie

some advice with Tayberry
« on: June 05, 2009, 23:27 »
I have a 10 foot fence area that i would like to cover, i was thinking maybe plant Tayberry plant's along this fence, so how many plants for 10 foot area, how close to the fence should i plant them and would shade from apple trees be a problem for them.

SG6

Re: some advice with Tayberry
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 06:13 »
I have found that a tayberry will form fairly long canes say 6-8 ft. Also a plant will eventually have 2-4 each season.

Using that you could get away with just 2. With 1 planted at each end and grown in towards the centre.

The "problem" being that you need to keep 2 years canes at the same time. So you will have to have some way of keeping them a little separate.

I do not get that great a crop off of the tayberries compared to the blackberries, and they have thorns on everything. Unless you have a thornless variety get some good gloves.

If you allow a cane tip to touch the ground it will root and form another plant. They are good at reaching the ground and therefore multiplying. The new plants tend to form a plant that will have more but smaller canes I have found. Either that or it is because I have not managed to prune and maintain them so they grew more and smaller canes.

Mine were planted about 12-18 inches from the fence and shade isn't a problem. I tie the canes on to wires I tied along the fence.

nemie

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 15:18 »
I think now after reading your advice that i should maybe look towards Blackberry, as i would like a big crop, when i bought the Tayberry plant i also picked up a Blackberry Merton Thornless.

I take it the same advice given fort he Tayberry i should follow for the Blackberry?

Many Thanks SG6 for the help.

nemie

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 16:02 »
Well just had a long read and it seems the Blackberry Bedford Giant might be best for that area, im still looking, the spec would be around 6ft tall width 10/15ft.

SG6

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 18:10 »
I planted a tayberry and logan berry.  Being honest very little difference between 2. Main problem has been that they thorns that cau get through anything. Those 2 plants were the reason I have 2 sets of good thick durable leather gloves. And I still yell occasionally. :D :D :D

Also planted Loch Ness blackberry and Waldo blackberry. Both thornless and I get a decent crop off of both. Nice fruit also. I notice that the fruit of Bedford Giant is reported as sweet but can be bland.  ??? ???

I think that Waldo produces the longer canes, about 8-10 ft. Loch Ness being about 8 ft. I usually get 2 canes from each plant. Not sure if that is normal but it is generally what I see. Again I chose 2 similar types so never easy to work out which is which. :ohmy: :ohmy:

I see your location is Herts/Essex. Mind me asking which town? :wacko: :wacko:

nemie

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 23:32 »
Hi SG6 my town is bishops stortford, I think I have narrowed it down to two, Chester Thornless and the lock ness.

I found a little place to grow the merton thornless, and I don’t think ill bother with the tayberry, in fact I might plant it just outside my garden and if it survives then so be it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:25 by nemie »

SG6

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 08:51 »
I have a "spare" blackberry, one that rooted from a tip managing to get to the ground. I have to remove it at some time.

Presently it has a cane from last year that is 6-8ft long but will not I think produce much. Looked last night and there are 3 young canes of about 3ft long.

Not sure which of the 2 it is, Waldo or Loch Ness. If you want it I will dig it up, take off the big cane - too big and stiff to get it in the car, and bring it over. May be able to drop it off one evening back from work as I drive round Bishop Stortford everyday. The information I have for Sheering is that it is somewhere around BS.

SG6

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 11:28 »
memie: It has stopped raining. Not sure if possible but if you would like the blackberry today, Sunday 7th. I can lift it, put in a bag and drop it off.

See you are just by Sawbridgeworth. Simple for me to get there. BS/Tesco turn right and I bump into it.

nemie

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 16:55 »
Hi SG6 thank you for your kind offer i guess i have left it to late today, but yes BS/Tesco is about 7 miles from me so not to far, Do you live just around the corner from this Tesco?, i ask because tuesday i will be in that area as i take my son to Challenge Active Gym which is going by google map not far from this Tesco.

The time would be 6:30 to 7:30 any time in that hour, would this suit?

SG6

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 21:41 »
I live no where near Tesco, come to that not even near Bishops Stortford :D :D :D
I pass Tesco's twice a day to and from work so I know that bit of BS where the A120 takes a turn.

I realised that next Saturday I hope to be in Sidmouth, there is an open day at an observatory there and I am hoping to go down. Will be back that evening however.

As to Tuesday, I go past Tesco at about 5-5:30. Then again I will probably have to shop Tuesday so I could do it at BS. Could you make it for 6:30? Or as soon to that as possible.

Cannot recall if there is anywhere obvious to pick out at Tesco's as a meeting point. Equally if I stand around the main entrance carrying a blackberry bush I should be easy enough to find ??? ??? :D :D :D

Otherwise how about the weekend (Sunday)?

nemie

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 04:40 »
Here is my email     **************     might be easyer to talk direct.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 04:49 by DD. »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 04:49 »
nemie - I have removed your email address as you can leave yourself wide open for spammers by posting it publicly.

The PM (Private Message) system can be used for one to one contacts, you can swap email addys on there if desired.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

nemie

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 18:11 »
Thank you DD  :)

nemie

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 20:56 »
Many Thanks SG6 the blackberry is now planted, and I'm about to go plant the leeks  :)

Was kind of you thxs so much.

xx
Tayberry advice please!

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 23, 2020, 11:57
by Growster...
xx
Loganberry and Tayberry advice

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 20:00
by Yorkie
xx
Tayberry

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 07:33
by sunshineband
xx
Tayberry?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 06:57
by mollydog

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 39 queries.