Last battery hen in UK

• 15 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Last battery hen in UK
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 18:12 »
Sadly Pauline the enriched cages aren't much bigger  :(.
This new law applies to the whole of the E.U.
Staffies are softer than you think.

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 18:21 »
Got to agree, although it is great to see some progress at least!!!

Pep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 19:03 »
They aren't Joyfull but at least the poor things will be able to stretch their wings.  I know it's supposed to apply to all EU countries but apart from UK, do you think any of the others will take any notice?  I agree Impd, some progress but just not enough.  Pauline

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 19:07 »
I think Germany had banned any cages whatsoever already.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 07:35 »
The cages are still too small they can't scratch which is all they seem to want to do!!Other countries have said they haven't had enough time to change the cages and the EU have said oh thats oK, the same thing happened with sow pens we changed in the UK but sadly other countries have not, if people didn't buy the eggs then surely this would stop?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:39 by sneezer »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 11:48 »
If I have to buy eggs when my lazy lot decide to take the pellets and blow raspberries at the nestbox, I will only buy free-range.

The new cages are much better, but given the hellish conditions of the original cages, that's not hard.

I know free-range is a lot more expensive, but I would rather economise on other things than buy battery eggs.  It's really hard not to feel this way when you keep chickens yourself and see how much they love to scratch, dustbathe and just have space to express their personalities  :)

alaj

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 22:23 »
Have to say,we don't buy eggs unless we know they are free range hens. The new rules won't change that!
My chickens probably make more sense than I do so forgive me ;-)

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 16:56 »
Officially the ban started 12 january 2012 for the UK and EU are set to follow. 7 countries already outright ban cages including germany, holland, belgium just to mention a few.
Step in right direction and the enriched cages wont be much better but as said before at least the hens will have a bit more freedom/movement... After working on a battery farm - FREE RANGE ALL THE WAY FOR ME!!!
X2 Black Rock's
                         = 4 FRESH EGGS EVERYDAY!!!
X2 Warren's

little brown hen

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 12:23 »
hello 4 chooks - how long did you manage to work on a battery farm?   It must be so depressing!   That special noise the chooks make when kept in those conditions - and the bird dust, were you not allergic to that?   I am glad the UK is changing - anything is better than those dreadful cages - and what a wonderful response to the adoption of old batts!

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 12:46 »
Interesting point made in that article was the bit about a lot of battery eggs going into processed food? Which unfortunately means we are still indirectly financing this process!!! >:(

Anyone have any idea of what percentage of eggs produced are sold as "eggs" directly to the public and what percentage are sold to the  food process industry?

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 12:50 »
I think the majority of processed foods do contain battery eggs unless it states otherwise  :(

Skywise

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 15:52 »
I don't really trust any commercial egg producers when it comes to their treatment of their chooks, so I've come up with a solution - if our girls don't lay then we don't have eggs.  Simples!

I also made an executive decision not to buy any processed foods that contain eggs. If I want cake then I'll bake one (if we've got the eggies that is).  If I want mayonnaise then I'll whizz some up.  Home made is always tastier anyway.  It only takes a couple of minutes and it's much more fun (just remember to put the lid on the food processor properly before you start whizzing mayo - it took me ages to get the stuff off the kitchen walls  :lol:)

I know it's easy for me to do this because it's just hubby and I so we don't have to worry about feeding kiddies and it's much more difficult if you have to work *and* look after a family.  It just makes me feel better to know that I don't contribute to this cruel industry in any way, shape or form.

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 18:47 »
Approx 10% off worldwide production of eggs goes into processed foods, These are mainly mishaped eggs as cannot be graded for normal sale.

Approx 70% of worldwide eggs come or came from battery hen's (90 million) per day for those who are interested

Which leaves free range at 20% but thats soon to rises following the ban, But free range doesnt always mean free range. BUT FREE RANGE ALL THE WAY!!!

P.S. I Worked on the battery farm for 2 years and to be honest really enjoyed it and thats what got me into hen's, But yes everday i felt so sorry for the batt's and even rescued quite a few before slaughter!

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 11:34 »
Approx 10% off worldwide production of eggs goes into processed foods, These are mainly mishaped eggs as cannot be graded for normal sale.

Approx 70% of worldwide eggs come or came from battery hen's (90 million) per day for those who are interested

Wow i thought that processed food figure would be a lot higher than that, i was half expecting more eggs to end up in processed food than sold as "eggs".

In one way that makes me feel a bit better because you can control your direct or indirect egg purchasing a  bit better, not that i have directly brought an egg for god knows how many years 8)

question
Ex-battery Ducks???

Started by Caralou on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 15:23
by scabs
xx
Ex Battery hens

Started by druidswoods on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 21:52
by waliz
xx
Ex battery hens

Started by smud6ie on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 13:00
by lightyears
xx
the Battery Hens are here, the 1st pics

Started by storme37 on Chicken Chat

18 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 23:14
by storme37

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 40 queries.