Tomato, peppers and chillies

• 3 Replies

Elm street

• Experienced Member
Tomato, peppers and chillies
« on: February 16, 2015, 13:06 »
Hi all,
I will have a greenhouse built within the next few weeks, it will not be heated as we do not have electricity on the plot.
Could anyone please advise on types of the above plants that will be suitable in a 6x8 greenhouse?
We do not want hot chillies, something mild would be great and sweet peppers, tomato's will be cordon type.

Many thanks in anticipation of your responses!!

Mel

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomato, peppers and chillies
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 13:40 »
You may like to have a look at previous tomato popularity surveys to get some idea of what at least those who responded thought of them.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/potato-and-tomato-popularity-polls/51/

Chilli heat is very subjective - I only grow cayenne now because they are very reliable for me, which has to be a consideration if you're growing for the first time.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 15:09 »
There are usually a range of chilli plants available in outlets around April time, and many of these are of modest heat (very hot ones tend to indicate this on the label)

Without somewhere warm to bring on seedlings, this might be a straight forward way for you this season perhaps? You don't need many plants to get a large crop!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 15:41 »
Thanks for the responses!
Sunshineband - We bought plants last year for outside in the garden, so will probably buy plants again this year.
Thanks for the link JayG, most interesting :)

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.