How's your garlic doing?

• 26 Replies

simonwatson

Re: How's your garlic doing?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 12:10 »
My garlic isn't quite ready yet but is so covered in rust I don't think it's going to get any further. Possibly the first year in a ages we won't be self sufficient in garlic.

Headgardener22

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 15:51 »
Mine's all harvested. Lots of rust and I only just managed to beat the whiterot. It isn't drying very well as the whiterot is eating into the cloves. I've already skinned some of it and put it in the freezer. (I know that freezing isn't the best way to store it but the alternative is that the whiterot will completely destroy the crop.

Steveharford

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 21:41 »
About 50% of each of my plants was rusty before i went away a couple of weeks ago but I came back to find them covered completely. So I have now dug them up and overall I am pleased except for the Music which were small,and the Provence wight also small.
Early purple , average size
Albigensian reliable as ever
Castano, good size
2 different varieties bought from French markets were the biggest of the lot. One does look like Albigensian.
And thats it. A fairly normal harvest and I dont think that the rust had much effect as it arrived late.

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 13:33 »
All my autumn garlic is pulled up and most of it had more rust than an old Fiat.
Carcassonne Wight - good sized bulbs and dried well
Provence - pretty average size
Early Purple Wight - Disappointing, looks like the rust stopped about half of these from swelling
Lautrec - Completely useless, not much wider than the stalk
Germidour - completely rusted and left in just to try and protect carrots.

I have wet clay soil and will be keeping garlics in the greenhouse or cold frame over next winter to give them a better chance.

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 17:53 »
Total disaster for my garlic this year. Not only did it all succumb to rot, but it also took my shallots with it. I buy my garlic from the Really garlicky company, usually with good results. However, when my order arrived last year, it was less than satisfactory, so I returned it. The replacement bulbs weren't much better but I decided to give them a go. Out of about 100 cloves planted, I have about 5 usable bulbs. I have just written to the company to see what comments, if any, they have.

LotuSeed

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 22:20 »
Total disaster for my garlic this year. Not only did it all succumb to rot, but it also took my shallots with it. I buy my garlic from the Really garlicky company, usually with good results. However, when my order arrived last year, it was less than satisfactory, so I returned it. The replacement bulbs weren't much better but I decided to give them a go. Out of about 100 cloves planted, I have about 5 usable bulbs. I have just written to the company to see what comments, if any, they have.

Wow that's a huge loss. Only 5 out of 100? That's really disappointing. (Especially when you consider how long it occupies space in the ground). Hope you have exponentially better luck next season.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Auntiemogs

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2015, 15:06 »

Wow that's a huge loss. Only 5 out of 100? That's really disappointing. (Especially when you consider how long it occupies space in the ground). Hope you have exponentially better luck next season.
I bought mine from Really Garlicky this year.  The Music is doing well, but the smaller garlic that I bought (can't remember what it was called) has all rotted off, despite being in the same bed.  I do hope it wasn't infected with summat... :(
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

grove

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2015, 16:52 »
Just dug them in the last hour or so. Now laying out to dry. And the forecast is suddenly for heavy rain all night. Well I guess it will wash them!

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2015, 18:30 »
Its my first time growing garlic and all my autumn sown are drying off in the lean too, tried outside but just too much rain. My Wilkos have plumped up nice and my super market ones have made walnut sized cloves and have turned into a bigger yield than the 80 pence it cost for the originals, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2015, 18:46 »
Not too good, I had to pull mine up early because it's been so dry it was curing in the ground. I really should have watered more during the dry period. They also got rust.

I'm not being too hard on myself because it's my first go at growing it in the ground. Dig in more organic matter, water more if needed, try to do better next year :)
garlic.jpeg
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 18:48 by GreyScales »

oldgrunge

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2015, 21:06 »
Not too good, I had to pull mine up early because it's been so dry it was curing in the ground. I really should have watered more during the dry period. They also got rust.

I'm not being too hard on myself because it's my first go at growing it in the ground. Dig in more organic matter, water more if needed, try to do better next year :)
Over the last few years we have had very dry springs, and my garlic crop has suffered as a result. So this year I made sure they were well watered, and the crop was very good. So, if you water well I'm sure your crop will improve also.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 11:04 »
Pulled all mine yesterday, some good some not so, but overall a pretty good harvest, have solent wight and bella italiana to go at!!  :D

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
question
Garlic

Started by Moley45 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 11, 2010, 21:26
by Jilly Pickles

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 38 queries.