Dotty has hatched some turkey eggs

• 139 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Dotty has hatched some turkey eggs
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2012, 23:26 »
Hubby thinks they are really ugly and I don't think he could stomach culling.  I am going to mount the dispatcher on our wood work bench in the garage.  I will wrap the turkey in a towel and then lay it on the bench.  I was used to wrapping up our old cat to give her tablets as she was really feisty. 

Hubby has a bike stand he made for repairing his mountain bike and it is ideal for hanging the birds.  I just put a bucket under their heads when I did the cockerels.   :blink:

I will have a practice with some carrots or parsnips to make sure I have it set up right.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2012, 23:36 »
LOL, guillotined carrots!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2012, 13:10 »
Just weighed Bootsy 10 1/4 lbs and Snudge 8 lbs so they have some way to go before they are a decent weight.  Christmas dinner is being postponed until January when our youngest daughter will be home (hopefully with her chef boyfriend)!   :blink:

Bootsy is now 12 3/4 lbs so has put on 2 1/2 lbs but Snudge is only 8 1/4 lbs only 1/4 lb heavier.  She is a lot more flighty so she must be burning up the fat.  At this rate I would have to wait until next Christmas for her to put enough weight on!!   :wub:

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2012, 18:07 »
Bootsy puts on weight at the same speed i do!  :blush:
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2012, 18:37 »
I think the brains of that particular duo may well be found in Snudge by the sound of it :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2012, 15:58 »
I think she would make a great Aerobics teacher.   :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2012, 16:28 »
See now I just have a vision of Snudge in legwarmers at the front of a class of hefty old laying hens, saying 'Come on ladies - stretch those drumsticks   :lol:  That's just not fair  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2013, 15:08 »
 :blink:  I was thinking of doing some knitting this year.  That could be my first project together with a sweat band for her head.   :D

ANHBUC

« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2013, 14:59 »
Well the cold snowy weather has not helped them put much weight on.  Todays weigh in has Bootsy at 14 1/2 lbs and Snudge 9 1/2 lbs.  They will be 24 weeks old this week so I don't think I can leave them much longer before culling them.  I don't want to end up with tough meat. 

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2013, 15:05 »
Just remember to cook them like real meat.  Longer cooking on a lower heat.  I usually do my poultry breast down until nearly done, then breast up for last 10-15 minutes to crisp up the breast.

That way the juices soak through into the breast meat and you don't end up keep basting it.

They are not bad weights ANHBUC.  The chap turkeys that Brian culled and dressed for a chap we know, looked more like pigeons.  He works away all week and his wife hadn't been feeding them properly!  :(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 16:13 by GrannieAnnie »

ANHBUC

« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2013, 15:10 »
What is the oldest I can leave them for before culling?  I have looked in my books and online and there doesn't seem to be any answers.  It does say the bronze hens can start laying at around 28 weeks.  If I left it that long I would be tempted to breed them!!!   ::) :lol:

splash101

« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2013, 15:47 »
Who was the chap that Brian culled  :ohmy:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2013, 16:11 »
Ooops, should have read that bit before posting! lol

Slight modification done!   :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 16:14 by GrannieAnnie »

ANHBUC

« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2013, 11:40 »
Well no turkeys in the garden but plenty in the freezer.  Culling wasn't as bad as I imagined for a big bird.  Wrapping them in a towel and then securing that with some sports bandage meant no flapping.  They were very calm wrapped up which was easier as they were heavy.

Plucking is a job and a half, especially tail and wing feathers.  Nice cold weather meant hanging them for a few days in the garage was ideal.  As we didn't want the birds whole the butchering was also harder with a bigger boned bird.

Well worth it in the end though, we have roasted the smaller breast crown.  This made 4 dinners, then some in a huge omlet, more in a tomato and roast garlic sauce and finally a couple of turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwiches.

Our freezer is finally being used properly and will probably be used for some meat chickens and possibly duck in the future.  Just waiting on Lotty to go broody to buy in some Ross Cobb or Hubbard hatching eggs.  Any advice on the better of the 2 breeds would be appreciated, I am favouring the Hubbard at the moment.   ;)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2013, 13:30 »
We prefer the hubbards to the Ross's.  Ross's chicks seemed to be getting smaller.

Pleased all your processing went well, and you now have some lovely turkey in your freezer!

1 dozen this year is it?   ;) ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 13:31 by GrannieAnnie »

xx
turkey eggs- how often does your turkey lay eggs?

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 15:52
by massa
xx
Home-hatched copper-blue Marans eggs

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 18:13
by PaulineM
clip
What to do about Dotty

Started by Ema on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2020, 21:42
by grinling
xx
Dotty's first chicks

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 09:57
by j00les

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 41 queries.