Chicken has laid a shell-less egg

• 5 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Chicken has laid a shell-less egg
« on: March 31, 2012, 11:20 »
My ex-batt has laid a shell-less egg. How can I tell if there was a shell and it's still inside the chicken?  There is absolutely no bits of shell on the egg, and I have put my finger a little way into her vent and I can't feel an leftover bits of shell.  (I didn't want to feel to far into the vent, for fear doing damage/upsetting her.)
She's been a bit quiet and her tails a little down, but she's tottling around eating grass and bugs.  She was stood stock still for periods, before she laid the shell-less egg, but has stopped doing that now. 
It seems a bit early to take her to the vet, but I always worry at the weekend.

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicken has laid a shell-less egg
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:30 »
I have seen this before on the farm and the chickens didn't seem any worse for wear. I think this could be a common thing and nothing to really worry about.

Have a look at the link below, plus there is lots on google about it

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6164
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:54 »
Thank you, I have read a bit more now and it does seem common.   I think I am over worrying, but the chicken doesn't seem a hundred per cent.  She's busy, but her tail is down, and she's a bit subdued. 

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 14:03 »
Try giving her some marmite and some bio yogurt (not mixed together)   that normally picks mine up.  If things don't improve call the vet.

chookboy

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 15:01 »
We've had several 'shell-less' eggs - as far as I know, nothing to really worry about unless it continues.

Make sure she has access to extra calcium - oyster shell or at a pinch, crushed egg shell. Ours get plenty of calcium from all the snails they eat, but still have a pot of oyster shell and a pot of crushed egg shell.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 16:18 »
They have access to oyster shell, but never seem to touch it.   I crush egg shells, but they both lay thin shelled eggs, so probably not brilliant for calcium.  I give them poultry spice, which has calcium in, but probably a negigible amount.  I give them yoghurt which they love, but the vet has said it's debatable whether they can digest it(!)  I wish there was an easier solution.
I wonder if thin/no shells problems are because they are ex-batts. 

xx
Help - chicken laid egg without a shell

Started by jacko on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 20:56
by dizzylizzie
xx
Help! Egg laid with no shell!

Started by FCG on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 12:57
by Aunt Sally
xx
which chicken laid which egg?

Started by freda on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 13:39
by Evansent
xx
Chicken laid something fleshy.

Started by kopperdrake on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 21:50
by kopperdrake

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 35 queries.