Wobbly chicken sat on her bum !

• 7 Replies

Kwakali

Wobbly chicken sat on her bum !
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:18 »
 :unsure:
Hi all.  Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong with our ex bat? She's about 5 years old and this morning she was still in the shed when all the others had gone out. Oddly she is kind of sat back on her bum with her legs under her, balancing on her elbows. Her toes are together and she does not seem to be able to walk without being very wobbly.  She has eaten and had some water and seems perky? I was wondering if she has had a stroke?  At the mo she is sat in front of the fire eating Weetabix? I know that she is quite old in ex-bat years, but would like to give her a chance.  Also to add her poo is a bit runny. Right colour, but more smelly that usual and like gravy consistency! Anyone had any similar experiences? Thanks. Ali.

kegs

Re: Wobbly chicken sat on her bum !
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:11 »
Has she been wormed recently and what colour is her comb?  I haven't got ex bats but from what I know (which isn't a lot!) I thought that 5 yrs for an ex bat is marvellous and you should be highly commended.  I hope she gets better soon and that those experienced with ex bats will be along shortly to give you the advice you need.

Kwakali

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:25 »
hi thanks for reply. She was one of twelve ex-bats we added to our flock,  but just two tough old birds remaining! They were wormed in Nov, think I'll do them all again this week. Her comb is red but a bit dry. Maybe it's just old age. Perhaps I can sort out some wheels for her!

kegs

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 12:34 »
hi thanks for reply. She was one of twelve ex-bats we added to our flock,  but just two tough old birds remaining! They were wormed in Nov, think I'll do them all again this week. Her comb is red but a bit dry. Maybe it's just old age. Perhaps I can sort out some wheels for her!

A red comb is good - I'm sure I remember Joyfull saying that a blue comb indicates heart probs or a stroke.  Have you checked her feet and legs for signs of anything out of the ordinary (once she's finished her Weetabix obviously!)?

Kwakali

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 13:53 »
hi,  her legs and feet seem ok. She can walk if she has to (when the puppy came to see her)  but she is like a drunk. She is just sat as tho plonked on her bum. She seems to favour leaning backwards and her legs and feet are just staight out. Very odd.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 16:14 »
I have read another post a few months ago with a hen with similar symptoms. 

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=84074.0

Hope it has some useful information for you Kwakali.  :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kwakali

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 20:18 »
Hi thanks for taking the time to dig out that thread.  Have read it.  I guess it could be some sort of tumour.  With the ex bats we've had, quite a few I've had to have put down thro growths around their back ends/ laying equipment. Think I'll give her a warm bath to see if she is egg bound too. May just be some other sort of cancer taking her off her legs. I'll see how she goes. I don't want her to suffer.  While she still looks perky I'll give her a chance. I'll keep you posted.  Thanks for the replies.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 22:24 »
Hope she's ok tomorrow
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
wobbly chicken

Started by bclampton on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2017, 10:07
by Sassy
question
wobbly chicken

Started by simes42 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 23, 2011, 18:44
by tstainesmoore
xx
wobbly chicken and diarrhoea

Started by smudger699 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 11:17
by CattinJ
xx
wobbly chick

Started by sarah f on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 13:37
by sarah f

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 31 queries.