Confused!

• 10 Replies

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
Confused!
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:12 »
Hi everyone,

I have been reading old posts on here about crop rotation, soil improvement, and general growing conditons and I'm getting a bit confused  :unsure: I,ve devided my garden into seperate areas for growing veg this year to try and keep to some sort of crop rotation system.  I have clay soil which I have tried to improve with compost over the last couple of years and this year my veg was much better.  I haven't added a lot of manure just used chicken pellets a couple of weeks before planting.

This autumn I have seived my home made compost and used this to improve a new bed and I,ve bought a bag of stable manure to put on top for the worms to drag down.  Im going to use this bed for brassicas next year, but whats confusing me is that I know brassicas need compacted soil and roots need loose sandy soil so how does this work in a crop rotation system?

I have made three seperate areas but one is planted with permenent fruit,  I also have two raised planters.  I,m finding it difficult to know what to plant where, and what should follow on from what, please help  :ohmy:
l

evie2

Re: Confused!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:22 »
Hi Sue, I'm in the same situation. 

Next year will be my first proper veg growing season and I want to grow everything but need advice, lots of advice ::)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:18 »
Your confusion is a result of information overload! What you need is a plan; make a list of what you would like to grow and then tailor your list to the space you have available.

There are too many articles in the main part of this website to list, but they include planning your plot/s, growing and harvesting chart, and yes, crop rotation.

Don't get too deeply into any one part of the subject at this stage, there are some definite no-no's but many aspects are really more to do with trying to achieve perfection which Nature will make sure you never do anyway!   :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:31 »
Substitute the word "prefer" for "need" and I think you'll find the whole thing less stressful.

There are few people who can grow every crop in ideal conditions, you have to do the best you can with the resources available.

As JayG says, don't get too wound up with crop rotation in the early days, this gets more beneficial when you have a few seasons crops and you get a better idea of what you're doing.

At this stage, it's more important to not follow like with like to avoid passing on diseases.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:54 »
The phrase "crop rotation" makes my eyelids droop  :D That and the word "accounts" 

I try not to grow the same thing two years running in one place. That's me done.

Your soil improving efforts will pay dividends and your soil will get better year on year.  Brassicas do like firming in really well so they don't get wind rocked

There are a few plants that can cope on very hard soil, eg leeks, brassicas and celeriac. Potatoes are a good soil breaker-upper and you'll notice when you come to harvest your first crop how much better the soil is.  I add leaf mould when making new beds, or getting ready to plant a fresh crop.  I keep a wire enclosure on the plot for keeping leaves to let them rot down

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 13:38 »
Hi Sue

It sounds like this is a case of info overload. Now you have 3 sections all roughly the same size I guess. I really would not worry about what was in each area this year.  make a clean start from next spring, basically split what you want to grow into families and move each family to a different area each year . Brassica family - Cabbages, Swedes,  turnips, Legume family- Peas, Beans and  the rest family - Onions, Leeks,  Carrots, Parsnips Salads . Generally Legume follows the rest and Brassicas follows  legumes they like the nitrogen fixed by the legumes.

Potatoes can mess this up as they need manure and carrots, parsnip dont  Hope this help
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 14:53 »
Thanks, some straight forward advice is just what I needed, I was beginning to think I would have to create more beds but I can see now that I don't need to. 

I am a bit limited for space to grow runner beans, can these be grown against a fence in the same position each year?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 15:03 »
I am a bit limited for space to grow runner beans, can these be grown against a fence in the same position each year?

Yes, so long as it's not too shady.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 15:08 »
but make sure to improve the soil each year with some home made compost, or some manure or the soil gets exhausted and you get poor cropping.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 15:35 »
I would divide it into 5 equal sized beds, three for veg, one for fruit and one 'lying fallow'.  That is if you have enough space.  Cheers,   Tony/
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 19:54 »
And compacted soil for brassicas is easily obtained by simply planting the seedling then firming the soil immediately around it with your foot.

xx
Bit confused

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 17:43
by aelf
xx
Confused

Started by oakridge on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 09:27
by oakridge
xx
I'm confused ....

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 06, 2012, 22:26
by snowdrops
xx
I'am confused

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 22:24
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 35 queries.