Do chickens get cold?

• 3 Replies

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
Do chickens get cold?
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:26 »
I know it sounds like a silly question, but do they get cold?

One of ours is moulting and is almost bald now. Although she has loads of new feathers coming through, they are just prickles at the moment, and it will probably be another week or so until they form proper feathers.

Yesterday she spent all day sitting in the sun, and looked really sorry for herself, but today there is no sun, it's cold and drizzly. She has shelter so is not getting wet, but is hunched up and looks like she is shivering.

I have given her some warm porridge, but don't know if there's anything else I should be doing to keep her warm. She doesn't want to stay in the coop but be with the others. I even thought about putting some sort of jumper on her (!!!) but she is obviously uncomfortable to touch with all the new feathers coming through and squawks when she is touched so I don't think she would like that.

Thanks.

Helenaj

Re: Do chickens get cold?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 14:08 »
Most chickens moult during the Autumn so don't worry too much, they are fairly hardy. Just make sure she has somewhere to go out of the wind and rain and she will be fine in a week or two. Don't be tempted to handle her too much or put a jumper on her as the new feather shafts are very delicate and will break off and bleed and will be very painful for her.
Try giving her some cheap catfood or some tuna (the one in water) as the extra protein will be really appreciated and help her make strong feathers. Don't give too much fish though as if she is still laying (unlikely if she's in moult), you don't want the eggs tasting of fish!

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 16:26 »
Thanks Helenaj,

I have been giving her an occasional treat of fishy cat food, which she loves, but have to separate her from the others or they all grab it off her. She has always eaten slower than the others as she has a broken or clipped beak (we didn't know what to look for when we got her!)

She has had some extra corn tonight and has put herself off to roost before the others. But at least she is dry and had enough to eat, and I think that's all I can do for her.

She looks so miserable now, but I'm sure she will be extra beautiful in a couple of weeks.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 21:23 »
 One of my girls moulted through all the snow we had last year! I was really worried about her, but actually she has turned out to be one of the healthiest and best layers in my little flock  :D
Emma

xx
Chickens in the Cold

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 16:15
by Mrs Bee
xx
Hen With A Cold

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2007, 23:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
is it more than a cold?

Started by dalesman on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 16:46
by Aunt Sally
xx
Cold hen

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 20:33
by nicchick

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 35 queries.