Possible Respiratory Problem

• 18 Replies

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
Possible Respiratory Problem
« on: May 23, 2011, 21:34 »
We got 3 new chickens only 4 days ago. One of them started sneezing the next day. I left it thinking she was just a bit stressed from the move. She has got worse though. Although she seems fine in herself, and is running around OK with the others, eating and drinking fine, she is still sneezing, has small bubbles around her nostrils, and now her breathing sounds a bit rattly.

I emailed the breeder we got them from last night, but have not had a reply yet. I am now wondering whether I should think about getting her to a vet as she is not getting better on her own.

What do you think it could be? I was assured they had all been vaccinated against everything they needed but going back to the website, it doesn't list Mycoplasma as something they have been vaccinated against. I don't know if that is normal or if you can't vaccinate against it, or even it that's what it might be!

I would be grateful for any advice.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 21:46 by Ice »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Possible Respiratory Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 21:56 »
They can be vaccinated against Myco, but it depends on how large the breeder is as to whether buying vaccines in 1000 doses is viable.

http://poultrykeeper.com/chickens/health/mycoplasma-gallisepticum.html

I would have said have you considered hayfever, because I have a RIR hen that gets hayfever or something like it, but she doesn't rattle and her nostrils don't bubble.  What about her eyes?  Are they bubbly?

I'm no expert on poultry diseases I'm afraid, but when I did have a problem with myco once, a course of antibiotics sorted it quickly.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 22:00 »
Her eyes are fine, no bubbling there. It really just looks like a bit of a cold, with a runny nose! Which is why I haven't been too worried, but I don't like the sound of her rattly breath.

Do you think I should persevere with trying to contact the breeder, or should I find a vet?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 22:09 »
Is the breeder far from you?  If they are near enough, I'd go round there rather than keep trying to call them.

As you only got them 4 days ago, whatever she got came with her.  It is possible that the stress of the move brought this problem on, but that wouldn't have come out for over a week I think.

The breeder should replace them, or at least pay for the vet fees.  I always say to people if they have a problem with any chook they get from us, to let me know!

But the vet bit is up to you.  I personally don't think it fair that you should have to pay for what isn't your fault, but the chicken comes first.  But if she is feeding and drinking fine, then maybe it isn't serious, but like you said, its the rattly breathing and bubbly nostrils that is the worry.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 22:25 »
Thanks for the advice. He's not very local, but not too far to go to if I know he's going to be there - it's probably 30-40 mins away. His website does say that they are closed on Mondays, but open on Tuesdays by appointment only. I have to go work tomorrow, so if I've not heard by email by tomorrow morning I will take his number with me and try and call him.

Depending on what he says, I will probably take her either back to see him or to a vet tomorrow night. I really don't want to return her as she is beautiful, and has a lovely character, and I know she was only one of two of the breed he had left.
IMG_3565.jpg

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 22:51 »
Awww, she is pretty, what breed is she?

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 06:57 »
Her symptoms sound just like my Light Sussex when I got her - sneezing, runny nose, followed by a rattly chest.  The breeder recommended colloidal silver in the water which I tried without success.  I took her to the vet and he prescribed broad-spectrum antibiotics, which certainly did the trick.

Since then I've had other pullets get the sneezes and they have all recovered by themselves.  I really think the rattly chest is the key symptom - it indicates that there is a secondary infection so antibiotics seem to be the way to go at that stage.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 07:34 »
She's a Fenton, which I think is a hybrid bred from a cream legbar, which should mean she lays blue eggs.

Thanks for your advice. I will let you know how we get on today.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 09:07 »
Awww hope she's okay!

Like Lindeggs said, a broad spectrum AB will hopefully do the trick!

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 18:56 »
I have spoken to the breeder today, and am going to go and see him to collect an anti-biotic which can go in their water for 5 days, which means I don't have to take her to the vets and stress her out even more.

Will keep you posted on how she gets on.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 22:30 »
Well we went back to the breeder and he gave us some antibiotics to put in their water. They have had it for a week, which finished last Thursday, but she is still sneezing!

She does seem a bit better, and is sneezing less often, and doesn't have the rattly breath any more. And all along she has seemed fine in herself, running around with the others, eating and drinking fine.

Should I worry? Could it just be hay fever, or a cold that she will get over in time? Or should I be taking her to a vet?

Thanks for any advice.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 22:35 »
We've got a Rhode Island Red hen which we hatched 2 years ago, she gets hayfever.  It only happens as teh nicer weather comes along, and she started sneezing a few days ago.  No rattles though and no bubbly nostrils.

I took one of the water buckets out of the run where she is with our 20 laying hens, cleaned the other one out and crumbled up 2 clarityn tablets which I bought for her 2 years ago.

I did 2 tablets as the buckets hold 2 gallons of water!  2 days later, no sneezing!

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 08:15 »
Thanks, I will try that. Is it safe for them all to have? I don't want to separate her if I can help it because she is starting to integrate well with the older girls.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 08:55 »
Well all 21 of them are still running around!  :D

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 21:53 »
Well we tried the Clarityn in the water for a week, and she was still sneezing. Then after all that rain on Sunday she seemed to be sneezing even worse, so today we have taken her to the vets. He actually knew what he was talking about, which was a relief, and it seems they actually have 2 poultry experts!

She has had an injection of Baytril and has a further 7 days supply for us to give her by mouth. An expensive exercise, but hopefully she will be better soon.

xx
Respiratory infection

Started by upert on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2016, 18:35
by henamoured
xx
Is it Chronic Respiratory disease?

Started by peewee_lane on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 16:48
by mumsy
xx
Vaccinated new hen has given my flock a respiratory illness, what can I do?

Started by Mercedes55 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 07:31
by Mercedes55
xx
How much of a problem is it?

Started by Scrumptious on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 21:49
by Colbeck1megane

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 39 queries.