Feather Pulling

• 8 Replies

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
Feather Pulling
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:26 »
Hi Everyone,

We have 3 chooks (Milly, Molly and Mandy). We have had them since last September. They are all the same breed (Bluebelles), the same age and very similar sizes. They have all been laying regularly since Christmas. We haven't noticed any particular pecking order. In fact, they all follow each other around, and if one is in the nesting box laying, the other 2 stay very close by. In the last couple of weeks we have noticed Mandy starting to pull feathers out of the other 2, in particular poor Milly, who squawks, so it obviously hurts! I don't think they are bored as they have a large run, with 4 separate areas they can go into, in sun or shade, with various perches. They are fed on layers pellets, which they have constant access to, plus usually a cabbage or corn-on-the-cob to peck at, plus a handful of corn or some rice/pasta/potato etc in the evening as a treat. Any ideas why she has started doing this, and what we can do to stop it?

Thanks,
Jacky.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Re: Feather Pulling
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 13:06 »
She maybe wanting extra protein so I suggest give them a can of cat food the tuna one from Morrison’s goes down a treat with my lot.

You can also use poultry spice in their food or some battles poultry drink which may help but do keep an eye on it as you don't want a feather pecker in your flock.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 16:38 »
So you think it's diet-related rather than behaviour? We have also had a couple of soft-shelled eggs recently, but not sure which hen is doing it. Could this be connected?

I haven't got any cat food today, but I have got a tin of pilchards which I could mash into their usual evening mix of rive and vegetables. What do you think?

Thanks,
Jacky.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 17:54 »
Often its starts off as a protein deficency -then becomes a habit that is very difficult to break! I notice that you feed your chooks a combination of layers and pasta/rice/corn. Layers  pellets are finely balanced to provide the 16% protein that  laying hens require. Might be worth cutting out everything but the layers and hanging cabbage for a while. Maybe hang some CDS in the run as a distraction, as boredom can provoke feather-pecking. Any bleeding from the pecking treat with purple spray to help dissuade them and protect the pecked area.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 20:53 »
Thanks Foxy,

Now you mention it, they have been laying like clockwork and no feather pecking that we have seen since Christmas, when the dark early evenings meant they had gone to sleep before we got home from work. It's only in the last couple of weeks when it's got lighter that I have started giving them an extra treat for Supper, and that's when we first spotted the behaviour, and also have started getting a couple of soft-shelled eggs. I will lay off the extra food and just let them eat their pellets. I will get some things to hang in their run for them to peck at so they don't get bored.

We are thinking of getting another 3 in the next few weeks, so want to make sure they are introduced to a well behaved group of chickens!!!

Cheers,

Jacky.

daffodildaphne

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 06:52 »
My Copper Maran has a bare tummy but I don't think it's to do with boredom because she had the run of the backyard and I doubt it's protein defficiency because she's fed on layer's pellets.  What else could it be?

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 13:32 »
I have stopped the Pasta/Potato etc treats in the evening, they just have their pellets and an occasional handful or corn (usually to pursuade them to go somewhere we want them to go) plus they have a cabbage hung up. They also have a number of different perches and branches/logs to climb on. Despite this Mandy seems to be getting worse at pulling the feathers of the other 2. They don't retaliate at all, just sqawk if she pulls too hard. They don't have any bald patches (yet!) but I really don't want this to get any worse. I have given them fishy cat food a couple of times now to supplement their protein, and we also add poultry spice to their feed.

What else can I do? We have 3 new chucks now, which are already separated from them as all 3 went for them when we first introduced them, so I don't really want to separate Mandy as well, but will do if you think it will help.

Thanks,
Jacky.
 :(

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 07:35 »
I have seen somewhere that you can get an anti-peck spray. Any ideas whether it works?

Debz

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 09:42 »
I would also be interested to hear about an anti-peck spray.  I have three girls and there issues started with a moult.  Poor Marge still has a bare bottom, Pearl at least has little spines starting to come through and "Poison" Ivy is in the greenhouse during the day (with the windows open) because she is the worst offender.  I really would love to get a solution for poor Marge as I am starting to get really concerned about her bald bits.  It doesn't seem to bother her though.  She has the appetite of a horse and lays an egg almost every day.

xx
Lice and feather pulling

Started by DawnS on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 20:32
by joyfull
xx
Naughty girl feather pulling...ouch!

Started by lina on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 09:35
by Aunt Sally
question
Why is my hen pulling out her own feathers?

Started by BustersMum on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 11, 2014, 06:05
by BustersMum
xx
can any1 help me please :( my hen is pulling feathers

Started by christianj04 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2006, 22:08
by christianj04

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 35 queries.