Feather pecking continues

• 8 Replies

Flowerpower136

Feather pecking continues
« on: September 20, 2016, 19:20 »
Thought I'd got this sorted but the minute the hanging cabbage is gone she's at it again.
Tried scarper but I hated that so much am not keen to repeat the experience. Evil stuff!
Since then have used Barrier anti peck spray with some success though it doesn't last.
Toying with the idea of a beak clip but nervous and not keen on the idea of pushing hard plastic into her nostrils. Think I'd rather separate her than have to do that.  Though with our run that's not an easy option either.  Didn't design it with separation in mind.

Any suggestions or advice welcome!

Apart from that everything lovely. Lots of lovely eggs and everyone healthy.  Must focus on the positive!

Mr R Design

Re: Feather pecking continues
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:13 »
Get that anti broody cage back out and stick her in it with food and water for 5 days or even 7.

She is probably high up in the pecking order (no pun intended) and it is this that you are trying to change.

Isolating her from the others but where they can still see her should establish a new order with the ones that aren't in the cage and when she is released hopefully she will be at the bottom and will be wary about pecking.

As I think you already know it could well be other things that are going on eg low protein etc that is causing her to peck and I assume eat feathers but there will be no harm caused by trying the above.

Out of interest what kind of shade is her comb and wattle compared to the others and does she tend to peck just one particular hen and if so is it the one that went broody recently?

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 09:07 »
She is the top hen out of 8 and always has been despite being the smallest. Her comb is large and flops over but is a good red colour. She seems healthy, chatty and active. Quite slim, though I think that's a breed characteristic. She's a white leghorn and lays nearly every day, lovely sparkley white eggs.  She isn't the one who went broody, that was Speckle.
Wondered about the protein. but she has a good diet. They have access to layers pellets all the time, with healthy treats only in the afternoon. They are let out into the garden occasionally for a graze and a slug hunt, though not as often as I'd like due to risk of foxes, and recently, a neighbours dog.
She prefers the white fluffy feathers of Connie our white Sussex. So Connie now gets a regular spray of barrier anti peck, and because of that has managed to grow her knickers back.  2nd fav is little Pea our Blackrock, but I've watched, and she will have a swipe at whoever is passing within range.
Have to say that now Connie's got her knickers back I don't think any of them are suffering because if it, and certainly no injury. Their run is spacious so they can avoid her if they choose to, and the bigger ones, the bluebells and speckled have learned to leg it if she gets near!  Connie, Pea and the 2 warrens haven't quite sussed that out yet though.
I can try the broody cage. But wouldn't the pecking order adjust back when she was reintroduced? She seems to be the natural leader despite being so small. Never a bully though, initially just asserted herself through posture and stares. The feather habbit is more recent. Up to now she's been the perfect head chook so I'm almost reluctant to change things.  But, willing to give anything a go to stop this, apart from beak clips. Really don't like the look of them.
Might try extra protein first though. Maybe a personal daily ration of mealworms might do the trick? She'd love that....so that's maybe what I'll try first.   Why would she be deficient in protein though, that's the puzzle?
Appreciate your advice Mr Design. It's really helpful to have someone else's view on the situation. Many thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 14:02 »
Beak clips are fine Flowerpower.  They try and scratch them off and look at you accusingly for a while, but they don't hurt them at all  :)  They are very effective as well.

Mealworms are more fat than anything, so don't feed too many.  A lot of people use cat food when they want to offer a protein boost.

By caging the dominant bird, you adjust the pecking order and give the others a chance to assert themselves.  You can also try picking up the offending bird and walking round with her under your arm for a while, or gently pushing her down onto the ground and holding her there.  This is you being the dominant one and lets her know she has to mind her place  :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 15:01 »
Thanks Newshoot. I won't disregard the clips altogether then, but def a last resort.  Look terrible things to get on?Are chickens nostrils fleshy or made of harder stuff? I'd be so worried about hurting her.
They've all had a good spray with barrier today, including me! And I've been trying to concentrate on distraction. Run starting to look more like a theme park!  Swings, mirror, etc, lol!
We've all just had a good time digging over the compacted floor, and then they've had a quick scavenge in the garden whilst I stood guard.  Good job I'm retired and have time to play!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 20:58 »
Are chickens nostrils fleshy or made of harder stuff? I'd be so worried about hurting her.

Tougher stuff honest.  You won't hurt her, but she will be miffed, so get ready for some sulking and hard stares   :lol:

Feather pecking can just be a bad habit and gets addictive, so you will doing the whole flock a big favour if you stop her.    The girls need their winter drawers on as the nights get chillier  ;)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 21:30 »
Should think there will be more than hard stares! She's very vocal with an extremely distinctive voice. Whole neighbourhood will know about it.
Is there any type that's better? I've had a Google and they are a couple of designs, and different sizes.
She's a regular size chook, ie not a bantam, but quite a dainty little thing.
If we end up going that way think it's going to hurt me more than her. And wouldn't have it any other way!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 21:41 »
Should think there will be more than hard stares! She's very vocal with an extremely distinctive voice. Whole neighbourhood will know about it.

:lol:  She'll let you know exactly how she feels so get ready for some complaining  :lol:

I've only ever used the basic ring style design that sit inside the beak.  I would buy standard fowl size as the bantam ones are quite small. 

You only leave them on for a couple of weeks, then take them off for another couple of weeks.  Hopefully a repeat treatment is not needed, but it depends how determined she is. 

Flowerpower136

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 18:06 »
Right! Enough's enough! Connie's got a completely baldy bum again!  :mad:
So, we've spent most of today constructing a dividing mesh wall, plus gate, within the run. Chooks now have a 2 room palace, with Katy on her own in the smaller one. Hoping her solitude will be temporary, but if not, she's plenty of space and everything she needs. She can still see and talk to the others and with her own food and water doesn't seem the least bothered! In fact it's like the broody cage again. The minute I open her gate all the others rush in to check it out! :lol:
Can stop worrying about the state of everyone's knickers, and will wait and see what happens re the pecking order. No obvious contender to take over to be honest.
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!

xx
Feather Pecking Again!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:07
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Feather Pecking

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 18:04
by woodburner
xx
Feather pecking or ......

Started by Molly Hen on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 18:18
by bettyblue
xx
feather pecking

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 14:11
by lisa80

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 37 queries.