RATS!

• 53 Replies

barley

Re: RATS!
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 20:17 »
I saw a very large rat this morning in the middle of the aviary at about 11:00. I think he was sun bathing.

sounds to me as though the bait is starting to have an effect if it didn't move when you saw it in the sun , they get very lethargic as it takes effect - I found a mouse dead in the tray of poison once so it obviously died whilst still eating more bait  :(

I know it's not the nicest of ways to kill them but you will be overrun with them if you do nothing 

I use slaymore bait and find like you it gets gobbled for a week or so before it stops being eaten so keep doing what your doing

you may not find the dead rat but you will know its worked when the bait stops going ( if  you do  find it dispose of it carefully as to not contaminate other wild life ) I always burn any I find  on the bonfire

300AJC

• My other pet's a Land Rover!
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 21:35 »
I saw a very large rat this morning in the middle of the aviary at about 11:00. I think he was sun bathing.

sounds to me as though the bait is starting to have an effect if it didn't move when you saw it in the sun , they get very lethargic as it takes effect - I found a mouse dead in the tray of poison once so it obviously died whilst still eating more bait  :(

I know it's not the nicest of ways to kill them but you will be overrun with them if you do nothing 

I use slaymore bait and find like you it gets gobbled for a week or so before it stops being eaten so keep doing what your doing

you may not find the dead rat but you will know its worked when the bait stops going ( if  you do  find it dispose of it carefully as to not contaminate other wild life ) I always burn any I find  on the bonfire

I must admit, it scuttled off sharpish when I approached. I'll just keep chucking blocks of bait under the hen house every day and see what happens.
6 chickens, 1 Land Rover

Sassy

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 08:51 »
Sorry cannot advise on products. You mostly do not find bodies as they die in their nests which is where they take the bait. If you change your product you may be starting from scratch as different products can work in different ways :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

300AJC

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 12:00 »
Sorry cannot advise on products. You mostly do not find bodies as they die in their nests which is where they take the bait. If you change your product you may be starting from scratch as different products can work in different ways :)

I put some of the blocks under the aviary at the head of the hole. A few were taken fairly quickly however I put some more down in the evening and they are all there still this lunch time. I've removed the chicken's feeder from the aviary totally. They're in the back garden all day anyway so I have put the feeder in the middle of the lawn. I don't leave any feed in the aviary overnight at all now, so hopefully a combination of all these things will fend off the rats soon.

chrissie B

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 13:58 »
I have a rat in my garden shed , theres no food in there but they could just be sheltering , last year next doo informed me there were rats seen in her garden , she has 2 dogs at the bottom in pens which they live in and also are fed , hubby said catch it and let it go on the old collery behind us and I had to say no , next doors cat often likes to sit in the doorway in the sun I was hoping it would catch it but not yet hope he gets the trap today
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 17:26 »
it is illegal to catch rats and then release them - they are vermin and once caught should be disposed of as humanly as possible.
Staffies are softer than you think.

chrissie B

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 18:05 »
I can understand that some how I don't see them running through the grass wind in their hair , ugg I don't like rats don't understand people having them as pets either

chrissie b

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 19:50 »
My son used to have a pet rat called Sybil and she was very intelligent so I dont mind them but I dont want them stealing my chickens feed or their eggs.

Sassy

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 20:01 »
I have a rat in my garden shed , theres no food in there but they could just be sheltering , last year next doo informed me there were rats seen in her garden , she has 2 dogs at the bottom in pens which they live in and also are fed , hubby said catch it and let it go on the old collery behind us and I had to say no , next doors cat often likes to sit in the doorway in the sun I was hoping it would catch it but not yet hope he gets the trap today
chrissie b

Unfortunately unlikely to only be 'a' rat :mellow: :(  :ohmy:

bravemurphy

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 20:30 »
it is illegal to catch rats and then release them - they are vermin and once caught should be disposed of as humanly as possible.

Very true and the same applies to the Mink.

300AJC

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 07:16 »
Interesting. This is the second day where the the bait blocks have been left at the head of the burrow. I left a few around the aviary floor last night as well and they haven't been moved or nibbled at this morning.

Fingers crossed...

bravemurphy

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 08:09 »
It seems to me as if it could well be working  :)

chrissie B

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 10:37 »
well ive noticed that there may be dropping one day which I clean up and then none for a couple of days then there will be some more again , maybe there are a couple of hideouts , there were none today we will see tomorrow

chrissie b

barley

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2014, 17:55 »
Interesting. This is the second day where the the bait blocks have been left at the head of the burrow. I left a few around the aviary floor last night as well and they haven't been moved or nibbled at this morning.

Fingers crossed...

that's good news

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2014, 19:30 »
The trouble with using sachets and blocks is that they just keep taking them back to their nest and store them they don't eat them straight away so that gets expencive I use granules so they have to eat them there and then which gives you a better idea of how many you have and when they are dead, Mike
Mike Rixon

xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
Rats...

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2012, 21:59
by grinling
xx
Rats!

Started by parsleypig on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 20:05
by grumpydad
xx
Rats

Started by outercircle on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 14:21
by joyfull

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 36 queries.