RATS!

• 53 Replies

300AJC

• My other pet's a Land Rover!
RATS!
« on: February 05, 2014, 19:54 »
I have a chicken coop within an aviary in my back garden. When I cleaned the hen house at the weekend I noticed some gnawing marks in the corner of the he house. It's clear rats are burrowing in and having a go.

What can I do about this? I need to get rid of the rats but don't want to use anything that would harm the chickens.

Can anyone help?
6 chickens, 1 Land Rover

ghost61

Re: RATS!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 20:04 »
If you lock your birds up at night, then you could put down rat traps overnight - when they're active - and remove in the morning. Also clear away any food to discourage the rats, they are mainly looking for food, rather than your chickens!

300AJC

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 20:17 »
Or remove the food until the morning. That might get the message eventually.

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 20:21 »
Trouble is that if your birds are like mine, there's more food on the floor than in the feeders! Rats are creatures of habitu so will keep coming back. Traps are the best thing, baited with chocolate raisins held on with peanut butter, they can't resist it!

300AJC

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 21:17 »
What would you recommend? I've looked online. A lot seem to be humane traps. I want to snuff the sods out rather than just trap them and then have to relocate them

barley

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 23:14 »
I put all food away in metal dustbins when chooks have finished eating - clear up spilt food

we keep rat bait under the box ( no danger to chickens its out of reach ) never seem to have a rat problem so guess it works

it also helps keeps wild birds at bay from stealing food  :mad:

the only place we seem to suffer with rats or mice  is in the garage - they come in for shelter , bait keeps them under control in there too  ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 23:15 by barley »

300AJC

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 07:34 »
I put all food away in metal dustbins when chooks have finished eating - clear up spilt food

we keep rat bait under the box ( no danger to chickens its out of reach ) never seem to have a rat problem so guess it works

it also helps keeps wild birds at bay from stealing food  :mad:

the only place we seem to suffer with rats or mice  is in the garage - they come in for shelter , bait keeps them under control in there too  ;)

Is there any type of bait you would recommend? It seems from the gnaw marks they are coming from under the coop anyway?

bravemurphy

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:46 »
Once trapped you MUST kill the rat not rehome it.

ghost61

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 10:14 »
My only experience with a humane trap was totally inhumane.  We found the poor thing in the trap after coming back from holiday......leave the rest to your imagination.

Old fashioned steel rat trap, just like the 'nipper' mouse versions.  Country store places and DIY stores stock them.

I won't use bait outdoors in case birds or hedgehogs have a nibble.

Good luck

HAPPYCHICKENHOME

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 10:42 »
Hi we are in a rural location not that far from a river and at certain times the rats come into the garage and last year did a bit of nibbling at the wood to get into the hen house - it helps if you do not leave food down overnight, although rats are about during the day if they see an opportunity but once they are there the only way is to eliminate them, my other half has been known to get out the air rifle but that's no for me, although I do feel guilty I buy a box of rat bait, they are blue cubes about an inch and a half, each night I choose a spot and put a cube or two down and continue till they are not moved or nibbled for a few nights and that seems to get rid of them until the next batch.  I get mine from Sam Turners which is a farm store open to the public, there are many companies around that do the same.    The reason I use the cubes and not the more granular stuff is its easy to put down and pick up and the chickens do not appear to bother with them even if they are out before I have checked each morning, if you need to put them in the hen house all I have done in the past is rest a roof tile against a wall or a bit of wood that a rat would run behind but not wide enough for a chicken, you can do the same if you suspect where they will be running along as the blocks are suitable for indoor and outdoor use - I am pathetic and not able to use a trap because I do not want to have to empty it when its dead and see absolutely no point in a trap that gets a rat alive, think its more cruel leaving it for several days to die before you empty the cage  hope that helps. :)

barley

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 17:38 »
[quote author=300AJC link=topic=112437.msg1281881#msg1281881 date=1391672046

Is there any type of bait you would recommend? It seems from the gnaw marks they are coming from under the coop anyway?
[/quote]

I use slaymor - don't really like using it but it is affective and needs must I'm afraid ,

make sure birds and chooks can't get to it though - and if it all gets eaten replenish it as it can take a few doses to kill the rat

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 18:22 »
I clear all food away every night also, and I use bait in proper bait stations it's called Tom cat which I get from my local farmers market it's not cheap but I don't have a rat problem any more touch wood, they sell it loose and in wax blocks, get the loose because if you get the blocks they take them back to the nest and store it, when it's loose you can see how much is being used, Mike
Mike Rixon

pepsi100

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 22:50 »
I use these traps in a box, its open at both ends, then they turn into it, I use the blue bait, or peanut butter

I did try a length of 2 inch plastic tube to direct them to the trap, that was too successful, it was going off every thirty minuttes, so I had to take it out and dustbin heaven it, then reset the trap, over night they would eat the back half of the rat to get to to the bait

Now I use this bait box, the chickens cant get into it, I just use the blue rat poison in it and top it up when its gone

The hens keep the mice down, they hunt them down, they seem to do the same with the frogs as well (but I try to get to them before they do)

So far I havent seen any rat droppings (or dead rats)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 22:51 by pepsi100 »
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 22:51 »
There is bait that can be used that does not effect other beasts. It has been designed to work agaist the rats very specific digestive system. You're gonna hate me noe because I cannot remember the name of it :wub: :blush: :wacko:. In my defence I am a lady of acertain age ::)

I'm sure if you Google rat bait you should be able to find it. sorry. :nowink:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 22:56 »
ERADIBAIT!!! That's the stuff! :D

xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
#### Rats

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 15:34
by joyfull
xx
Rats!

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 09:27
by Sassy
xx
Rats

Started by interlocutor on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 08:31
by Sassy

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 35 queries.