Thinking ahead - blackberries

• 9 Replies

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
Thinking ahead - blackberries
« on: June 01, 2011, 14:39 »
At one end of my plot I've unherited a massed tangle of blackberries(BB's). They are infested with thistles/nettles/etc. It was very difficult last year to pick the fruit as I could only reach in about 2 feet-ish.

What I want to do is to dig the whole area out, get the weed roots out and replant the BB's in more uniform rows which will allow me access to weed/pick.

I'm told that I shouldn't do this until the end of the season when the BB,s are dormant.

My question are:

1, If  I cut the BB's back to enable me to untangle them will they put on growth in the spring to give me fruit next year or will I have to miss a year whilst they re establish themselves?

2, How hard can I cut them back and still stand a chance of fruit next year?

Regards, WG

Trillium

Re: Thinking ahead - blackberries
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 14:44 »
My mother had the same problem and out of sheer frustration she dug them out mid summer and sent them to me. And they quickly rooted and grew. No crop that year, but I didn't mind. I don't know the 'correct' height for pruning but I find I need to cut them hard as they grow extremely tall otherwise and like to flop over into my veg garden where they'll quickly root  >:( 

If you want to move them now, you might lose some crop but at least they'd be off and running for next year and your space will be cleared for other crops. Just be sure to keep them watered during digging and transit.

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:03 »
Thanks for that.

Anyone else got any info that may help?

Regards, WG

stompy

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:08 »
Dig the lot up now and dispose/burn them all.

Buy a new thornless variety and get it in as soon as possible and you'll get a crop next year off this years growth.

You'll never look back once you've gone thornless  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:13 »
I have to say, I'm 100% behind Stompy with this.

My "Loch Ness" is a pleasure to harvest. (Unlike the gooseberries that I've got to tackle soon with full Kevlar body armour).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

stompy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:16 »
(Unlike the gooseberries that I've got to tackle soon with full Kevlar body armour).

Im getting 2 types of Goosberry, i think Pax is one and i can't remember the other but they are both thornless and i will be propogating (hard wood cuttings) from them.

Settman

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:50 »
I bought a thornless variety,also Loch Ness i think 3 years ago and this year i will have masses of lovely juicy big blackberries,it has spread so much now that im going to have to dig my backcurrant bush up as it being smothered by the blackberry,not sure where im going to put it but if its a toss up between the blackcurrant and blackberry i know who will win.......in the words of the great Homer Simpson......mmmmmmmm blackberries
Is God an Alien

emma178

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:52 »
I have a 2 year old Loch Ness bush and agree that harvesting is so much easier.  I currently have scratches all over my hands from fighting to pick raspberries yesterday.  Once you go thornless you never want to go back  :)

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 15:06 »
I should have mentioned that our blackberry is the thornless variety, not sure of the name though. It's easier to harvest but still gets out of hand if not heavily checked.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 17:13 »
+1 for thornless.

I have mine planted at the base of a wall and have trained the leaders along wire spaced at 2ft. Much less hassle to harvest, and they don't look to bad this time of year covered in flowers, just need to keep up with the new growth before it goes woody.

Plenty of into here  http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/fruits/prunblkbr.htm

xx
Thinking ahead for winter, help please

Started by Bengal on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 12:06
by tosca100
xx
Thinking ahead for spuds

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 05:23
by DD.
xx
Courgettes - thinking ahead

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 04, 2012, 18:52
by sunshineband
xx
Thinking ahead how to use horticultural fleece ?

Started by richyrich7 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 18:49
by Ian_P

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 39 queries.