Tomato Blight ..... Again(sorry)

• 3 Replies

SalB

• salslickleshed
Tomato Blight ..... Again(sorry)
« on: August 20, 2009, 10:26 »
We seem to have the start of tomato blight on all of our toms . Some of the fruits have turned brown . We've sprayed with the stuff you're supposed to spray with (girly moment here , can't remember the name , but think it begins with D!)

Lots of the fruit are still turning red , so I'm just picking them off as I go and giving them a good wash before scoffing them ... (haven't died yet!)

As the fruits are still ripening like they should be , can I fairly safely say that the spray has worked? .... plants don't seem to look any worse than they did before spraying

Also ,  when I pull the plants up is it true that I have to burn them? Not easy for us as we live in a flat and aren't allowed to have fires on our allotment sites. Can I just take the plants to the council green waste site , where I know they will be turned into compost , but heated up too a far higher temperature than my little compost bin ?

Thanks in advance (as usual)
Keep smilin'
Sal x
The sun is always shining .... somewhere!

peterjf

Re: Tomato Blight ..... Again(sorry)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:44 »
dithane , take off all the effected leafs then when you ready to pull the plants burn them , it kills the blight,

SalB

• salslickleshed
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 10:49 »
It's the burning bit that could be the problem , as I said earlier I live in a flat (tomato plant bonfire not the safest thing to have) and we're not allowed fires on the allotments  >:(

I've I can't dispose of them in the council green waste skip at the tip , I have no idea what I'm going to do with them!

Thanks for the advice re the leaves though ... guess what I'll be doing this afternoon  :wub:

madcat

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 11:03 »
Put them in the landfill waste - bag 'em up if you have to so the bin men don't see and complain.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
clip
Tomato blight?

Started by Audy70 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 19, 2014, 17:17
by Audy70
xx
Tomato Blight!

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 13:57
by GreenOwl
xx
Is This Tomato Blight?

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2007, 20:53
by slowcompost

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 32 queries.