Update from Southern Sweden 2

• 3 Replies

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
« on: June 17, 2008, 22:07 »
Nearly midsummer already! Things have been a bit hectic here what with the family away for a holiday and then everyone of course being laid up with colds for a week and a half after we came back, so the plot has been a bit neglected. Our camera was stolen on the last day of our holiday as well so I still have no photos for you!! My lovely man promises to sort this out shortly (not sure if that means we get another camera or I just get the lend of his mobile phone) so I´ll try my best to have something soon.

The broccoli raab is by far the most impressive thing growing, besides the potatoes. The normal broccoli just next to the BR is struggling but hanging in there. The kale didn´t amount to much so we will sow more. The radishes are doing very well, mixed bunch and all very tasty including a firey purple one we´ve never seen before. The spinach is coming along, the ruccola as well. The broad beans are beginning to flower. The peas are a joke so we treat them as such- with humour. Will continue to sow and hope for the best until july. The french beans are not too bad. The carrots are not impressive but being stomped on by rabbits hasn´t helped. We know it was rabbits because we found poo. The cucumbers that we so lovingly sprouted on the sill were planted out a week ago and all of them died! We plan to sow more directly. The pumpkins and squashes also suffered great numbers of losses. The weather turned very cold overnight the day after we planted them out. We will just have to make do with what we have left. The tomatoes are alright but going very slowly. Two of them are flowering, the remaining 10 plants are still tiny. Peppers the same. The beetroot and parsley root are up but not much to see yet. The leeks are like blades of grass. The mystery haferrot is still a mystery. The herb bed is patchy and the grassy bit is doing well except rogue potatoes are always popping up all over it! The alpine sterawberries are going into a second fruiting. The only really sad thing is something has systematically broken all of our sunflowers, just the one left now. Birds?

Overall we are really pleased with the small miracles we see there but I can really feel how much later we were in getting started compared to the others around us. Our plan is to get properly sorted for the autumn/winter now, and mulch with seaweed once autumn arrives, and just enjoy whatever veg we get. We certainly enjoy being out there, and that is half the fun at least!

Best wishes to you all and have a lovely midsummer!

Melissa

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:49 »
sorry to hear that Rabbits have invadd your patch, they will have eaten your sunflowers , the same happened to ours every one bitten through !!

Sounds like you will need to think about Rabbit proofing your plot .Nothing worse than growing plants for the Rabbits to eat.

Happy Midsummer to you too !!
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:34 »
Hi Melissa,  

Seems you have been very busy! Interesting to read about your progress.  Do you think that climactically you are behind or in advance of us in GB?

So glad to hear that peas can be a joke on both sides of the channel!!   :D   This year I am growing some called Canoe ... I started them off in a piece of guttering ...  100% germination and then when 4" high I 'slipped' them into place  8)   I hope for a good harvest!  I have enough seed to repeat the process another two times so I should get at least one helping !!!  :roll:   :lol:

Sad to hear about the sunflowers and the rabbits ... one for the pot ???  :twisted:   And, I came to the conclusion that a large flowerpot with a cuc in it on the patio was the answer to growing them !!

Hope you and the family are now all well again ... fighting fit for the next season!  Keep the updates coming and will look forwrd to the photos!

Flo  :wink:
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:18 »
Hi Melissa,

Nice to hear from you overthere in Sweden ...having the same growing triumphs and joys as the the rest of us :wink: I cant wait to see some photos of your vegetable plot. This is my first year having an allotment. We had to do quite a bit of construction and rubbish clearing since March but we have managed to get some vegetables in! SWEETCORN/FRENCH BEANS/CLIMBING BEANS/TOMATOES/CABBAGES/PEAS/COURGETTES/BUTTERNUT SQUASH.
My strawberries that I planted in March have died  :cry: and my squash looks a bit sickly but I am still enjoying having my allotment !!

Happy Vegetable growing

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

xx

Started by gardgydja on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 22:38
by gardgydja
xx
Update from Southern Sweden

1 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 03:29
by Trillium
xx
First harvest and update from Southern Sweden...

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 22:11
by gobs
xx
Leeks - when to sow seed in cold conservatory in Southern England?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2016, 21:42
by whitehill1

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 35 queries.