Apple tree(s). Which are good for a lottie?

• 6 Replies

She'sinthegarden

« on: June 15, 2008, 17:14 »
Hi
I'm planning what to put on my new lottie and I've been looking at the Ballerina apple trees. I've done some Googling and found comments that their flavour isn't brilliant. Has anyone got these trees and can fill me in,please. Also, could I cut the top of the trunk if it got too tall?
Any comments about any type of suitable fruit trees would be much appreciated.
thanks
S.i.t.g.

woodburner

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 20:00 »
You are lucky if trees are allowed on your site, although on the plot I turned down, an exception had been made for a disabled chap, so there are a few trees on it. I have to say they made a nice shady spot on a hot spring day! Highly desirable!

'Fraid I can't help with varieties, it's really a matter of personal taste. The important thing is that you need a dwarfing rootstock so that it doesn't need much pruning. It's the wrong time of year for planting so you have plenty of time to choose a variety. Supermarkets name most of their apples, and if you can go to an apple fest around September October you will probably find more obscure varieties to try. It's also a good place to get information on all sorts of apple related matters.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

JimG

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 20:58 »
I planted four varieties of apple tree last year - when they're available at £3.99 (from Aldi) it seemed too good an opportunity to miss.  Three gave fruit straightaway, much to my surprise, and the best was Elstar by some margin.  At least, I thought so.

Since it was so nice, I bought another Elstar earlier this year and it has fruited too.  Ok, there's not going to be too many apples for a while but my problem might be having rather too many in a few years!  Yes, not very bright of me but I do like apples (and will keep telling myself that on a regular basis).

gobs

Re: Apple tree(s). Which are good for a lottie?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 21:23 »
Hello, there, just as well, you get damn contradictory advice, I'm on the other side of the argument. Unless you have a postage stamp garden, don't do any much dwarfing stock trees, feeding and watering that is.

Otherwise, it's personal taste and also very importantly a suitable for your local climate variety you want, plentyof time to investigate, as said.

Quote from: "She'sinthegarden"
Hi
Also, could I cut the top of the trunk if it got too tall?

You don't cut the trunk, when it's too tall, as you prune regularly, every year, so it doesn't get anything you don't want it to. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

She'sinthegarden

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 16:16 »
Thanks for the replies. I'm going for minarettes as you get a much wider choice of varieties. I'll never have enough, though, as I eat about 5 apples a day. (Addict, I think).

gobs

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 19:14 »
Considering that there several hundreds of apple varieties available and a good nursery would put you any on any rootstock you like.... :wink:

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 16:16 »
Blackmoor do cordons.  I have a ballerina but do not know about the flavour yet.

clip
Apple tree no;good?

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2019, 18:10
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
we had a good day on the lottie yesterday

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 10:43
by compostqueen
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 35 queries.