Big bad blight ( tomato) anyone spotted it yet?

• 35 Replies

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
Re: Big bad blight ( tomato) anyone spotted it yet?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2021, 12:07 »
Not the best picture but you can just about see the white fuzz that I associate with late blight.
blight.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2021, 22:07 »
Make sure you don't over-feed.  The dosages and frequency of application of fertilisers should be followed; if you over dose on one set of nutrients, it can lock up other nutrients into the soil and prevent the plant from accessing them (a non-scientific explanation!)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

missmoneypenny

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 17:01 »
Found definite blight on a couple of my Black Russians. Cut back like crazy, fingers crossed. Hope the good old Ferlines perform at least, this year is less than ideal for tomatoes ( my favourite, most valued crop).

jambop

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2021, 08:38 »
Not seen any sign yet but we are having some pretty ordinary weather for summer here! Yesterday and today have been cold and damp so I went on gave the plants a spray which should ward off any problem for today but I see it is hosing it down again so tomorrow will probably be a reapplication. I try my hardest to minimise spraying but I have put in too much work to let plants perish when spraying will stop any problems. Terrible weather this summer though I doubt it has been better than what most of most of the UK has had which is odd.

al78

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2021, 10:42 »
Not seen any sign yet but we are having some pretty ordinary weather for summer here! Yesterday and today have been cold and damp so I went on gave the plants a spray which should ward off any problem for today but I see it is hosing it down again so tomorrow will probably be a reapplication. I try my hardest to minimise spraying but I have put in too much work to let plants perish when spraying will stop any problems. Terrible weather this summer though I doubt it has been better than what most of most of the UK has had which is odd.

May was largely cloudy and wet with cool daytime temperatures across much of the UK. The worst summer weather has been localised to the SE. Parts of the SE had double the normal rainfall in June, and that was after minimal rain in the first half of the month, so the second half was likely near four times the average for the period. July has started off cloudy and wet (some rain nearly every day) with mediocre temperatures (failing to reach 20C on several days here in Horsham). Earlier this week flash flooding from torrential rain showers has caused disruption in London. I'd be surprised if SW France has been worse, but it is not impossible. Combined with the frostiest April for at leat 60 years it has been a lousy growing season so far in SE England.
2021_5_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.png
2021_5_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.png
2021_5_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.png
2021_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.png
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 10:47 by al78 »

jambop

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2021, 11:52 »

It would surprise many just how much rain the area of France I live in actually gets. There are very few areas of England that get more. All of the areas that get as much are in the north west of the country, Scotland and Wales.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 18:59 »
saw what looked like blight on my toms today...cut back big time but think they will be gonners next time i visit...cut back the haulms on my potato plants too :mad:

al78

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2021, 12:34 »

It would surprise many just how much rain the area of France I live in actually gets. There are very few areas of England that get more. All of the areas that get as much are in the north west of the country, Scotland and Wales.

When it comes to human impacts, it is not necessarily about the quantity of rain, it is the deviation from average that matters. That is why asking why the south of England copes badly with freezing temperatures and snow by comparing to Canada is a poor question.

jambop

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2021, 18:08 »

When it comes to human impacts, it is not necessarily about the quantity of rain, it is the deviation from average that matters. That is why asking why the south of England copes badly with freezing temperatures and snow by comparing to Canada is a poor question.
Absolutely but the statistic is the same year on year I get far more rain than any part of the south of England and nearly all of England for that matter. Yes we do get some incredibly hot and dry summer weather most years but when it rains here... well you have to see it to believe it. Fortunately I live at the top of the col not the bottom where people also have to cope with snow melt flooding on occasion... a few years back eight people drowned due to the combination of rain and snow melt. Boulders ten feet across were washed down the hills like pebbles and houses simply removed from the land incredible what a bit of water can do.

OakR

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2021, 23:39 »
I've had some on some of my tomatoes and it's in various places at the allotment.

I've taken 4 affected plants out (3 yellow stuffers and 1 unknown variety bush type yellow Pear).

I'm not hopeful but keeping my fingers crossed for the 30-40 or so other plants out there - I have collected 1 ripe tomato so far!
PXL_20210714_051613237.jpg

jambop

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2021, 11:27 »

Just in from the garden and so a little sign of blight on a couple of plants so they have been sprayed again. It is going to be very hot over the next week so I hope that should stop any spread through the plants as I am sure I read that blight dislikes hot conditions.

al78

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2021, 12:09 »

Absolutely but the statistic is the same year on year I get far more rain than any part of the south of England and nearly all of England for that matter. Yes we do get some incredibly hot and dry summer weather most years but when it rains here... well you have to see it to believe it. Fortunately I live at the top of the col not the bottom where people also have to cope with snow melt flooding on occasion... a few years back eight people drowned due to the combination of rain and snow melt. Boulders ten feet across were washed down the hills like pebbles and houses simply removed from the land incredible what a bit of water can do.

Where in SW France do you live? I've looked at two places, Bordeaux and Pau, both have less than 1 metre of rain annually. I'm guessing you live very near on in the foothills of the Pyrenees if you are getting rainfall comparable to the wettest parts of the UK. Horsham where I live has a little over 800 mm annually, and Manchester is slightly higher, nearer 900 mm. In the UK, annual rainfall is highly variable by location, and is strongly biased higher as you go north and west. The high fells of the Lake District and Scottish mountains can get at least 2-4 meters of rain per year. Even Fort William which is at sea level gets nearly 2 meters of rain per year on average. Seathwaite is the wettest inhabited place in the UK with over 3.5 meters of rain per year on average.

The wettest places in the UK revealed ? and why these cities are so soggy

missmoneypenny

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2021, 18:18 »
One of the older guys at the plot had to pull out all his plants. I felt for him. None on mine except one which I pulled up. If this goes on I might have to consider a greenhouse.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2021, 07:01 »
No sign of any on Sunday went over yesterday had had to pull up 3 plants as they were virtually all brown.

One end of the bed is fine the other is looking like they all might need to go.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2021, 09:43 »
I had to pull out the end plant from a row of 4 - the others were behind a debris netting wind-break. As the spores are windborne, it makes me wonder if surrounding them with a barrier/netting  would help?

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
tomato blight again

Started by jd67stella on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 16:06
by Mr Rotavator
xx
Tomato blight again ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 13:25
by Aunt Sally
xx
Tomato Blight ..... Again(sorry)

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 11:03
by madcat

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 51 queries.