Best dwarf fruit trees please

• 4 Replies

Under The Hill

Best dwarf fruit trees please
« on: October 21, 2014, 22:08 »
I would like to plant some dwarf fruit trees on my plot, apparently I am allowed to as long as they are M27 dwarf.  I would like a plum, sweet desert apple and pear tree, has anyone got any tips of good trees that grow well in the south of England, in quite an exposed site.   And any good tips on where to buy also.  I have just started looking at there are so many to choose from!!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Best dwarf fruit trees please
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 22:15 »
The rootstock names vary according to the type of fruit - it's not one label for one size for all.

I'd look for a local supplier to you and have a chat with them - they will know what grows well in your conditions.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

4 Seasons

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 22:40 »
If you are only growing one of each then you need to make sure they are all self fertile.

1/ Old green gage (sweetest plum ever)
2/ Kid's Orange Red (great taste and will do exceptionally well where you are but you will need a polinator)
3/ Concorde (compact tree and much prefer it to others but not sure if it is self fertile, Conference is).

Look up  RV Roger on google for a good information bank and a wide selection. They will give you good advise over the phone too.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 23:06 by 4 Seasons »

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 23:31 »
Hiya

Had some very good crops this year from my dwarf fruit trees. They are in their second year in the ground on my plot. The plum is a greengage (Old Greengage), on Pixy rootstock. Had 12 fruit but absolutely delicious! The apple I have is Laxton's Superb, on M26 rootstock, which had a decent crop but most got eaten by foxes and rats, the ones I managed to harvest were very good. Sweet, crisp and juicy. Have one Concorde pear and one Conference pear, on Quince C rootstocks. They each ripened about 20 good sized fruit, very nice. Rats/foxes got some if those, too, so am going to have to think up ways of protecting the crop next year. I got my pear trees from B&Q (2 for £25), the apple and greengage at a garden centre. There are lots of good online fruit tree vendors, have heard Ken Muir and Chris Bowers are good. Hope that helps  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:37 »
If you are only growing one of each then you need to make sure they are all self fertile.

I think that "self fertile" in most fruit trees is a misnomer as even self fertile varieties pollinate better, produce heavier crops, are less prone to biennial fruiting and, some say, produce better tasting fruit if cross pollinated.

If there are other fruit trees on the allotment, or a crab apple nearby (for Apples, Natch!), then I would expect that pollination wouldn't be a problem and thus worth choosing varieties of personal preference (taste you like and suitability for the soil / local conditions)

xx
dwarf fruit trees?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 19:44
by tosca100
xx
Dwarf Fruit Trees, 'HELP'

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 20:50
by hightide
xx
Dwarf fruit trees (Minarettes)?

Started by Kerry on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 27, 2007, 20:59
by Kerry
xx
Dwarf fruit trees yield

Started by kregler on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 18, 2010, 23:07
by kingdhesiii

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 36 queries.