Blackfly

• 11 Replies

mrs bouquet

Blackfly
« on: June 30, 2009, 16:43 »
Just wondering if anybody else has a really bad infestation of these critters.   I cannot ever remember them being so bad.  This afternoon, I have had to remove the foxgloves and tall poppies and now I remember why I haven't grown Petunias for years !  But oddly enough they have left the salad crops and veg alone, I had one small attack at the bottom of the runners, which I rubbed out by hand, which seems to have done the trick.   But I have never lost so many flowering plants to them before.   I am not particularly looking for a cure, but I hoped the very severe winter might have 'kicked them into touch'   >:( >:( >:(    Please tell me I'm not alone.

Ok thats it, rant over   :lol: :lol:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Blackfly
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 17:12 »
No they are everywhere Mrs B, but i haven't seen a ladybird in ages...is this the problem?
I think maybe that spell of coldish weather we had after a warm spring start may have caused problems for the ladybirds but not the green/blackfly >:(
I've had to spray my runners with soapy water several times already, and it only seems to check them, not get rid of them...little blighters :wacko:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 22:01 »
Got a lot on the unopened squash flowers, some of which are completely black with them. Did see some ladybird today, but not on them of course  :wacko: :wacko: right the other side of the plot.

Pick off the badly covered ones and carried over the ladybirds . Lets' hope they eat quick  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cathy81walking

• Aspirations to Heligan's perfection in my dreams..
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:07 »
Hi, I'm in Worthing too and am also inundated in the little blighters! :tongue2:  Was wondering if I was the only one, so reassured that I'm not.

Everything from my sweet peas to the courgettes are covered.... I shall have to spend an evening with soapy water removing the worst.

Its typical - we get a 'proper' summer and the 'proper' pests come back too!  And I installed piles of wood for ladybirds around the garden last year....
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done ;)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 12:44 »
Hi Cath81, I am on top of the Downs in Findon Village, you would have thought the winds that always blow, would have blown them clean away, but no.   Have noticed today that the antirrhinums are now totally covered as well  >:( >:(  regards, Mrs Bouquet  (at this rate there won't be many bouquets from this garden this summer  :lol: :lol: :lol:)

cathy81walking

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 13:46 »
oooh - and I'm down in the Valley on the Cissbury side!  Its a small world!

We haven't had that much in the way of a breeze this year - haven't had to anchor the sunflowers yet (better do it now I've said that out loud - just asking for trouble aren't I?! :lol:) - fingers crossed for my kids entries for the Worthing in Bloom tallest sunflowers and heads with largest diameter (we won the 2nd category last year!). 

Lets just hope the blackfly continue to ignore the sunnies!!

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 14:27 »
No blackfly here, not even on my broad beans (none last year either). However I did notice greenfly on the broadbeans so I cut off the tops, since they were already 5' high.

cathy81walking

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 10:45 »
HURRAH!!! :lol:

Have found loads of baby ladybirds on my raspberry leaves (right by the log pile that we left to encourage 'friendly' bugs - the system does work)!!

Get chomping chaps - its blackfly city on the courgettes!

lisa80

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 13:29 »
my marigolds were also covered in black fly but luckily our allotment is teeming with ladybird larve so brought some back to house seems to have done trick!!! green fly still a pest in greenhse tho.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 22:11 »
Take some ladybirds in there too  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 00:15 »
Blackfly all along the south coast - I've got them too!!  >:( Not me personally but my runner beans.... They hopped over from the broad beans I guess having chomped their way through those first.

Ladybirds have been busy but they'll be dieting all winter if they manage to get through the strings of BF munching on my beans!!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 19:06 »
Unopened pumpkin flowers seem the worst affected at the moment  :tongue2:

xx
Blackfly!!!

Started by Greendream on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 19:02
by sunshineband
xx
Blackfly

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2018, 18:14
by snow white

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 36 queries.