Sweet fire beetroot

• 3 Replies

Hitwoman

Sweet fire beetroot
« on: July 05, 2015, 22:17 »
Hi.  Can anyone help with a query on preserving beetroot.

I like Tesco sweet fire beetroot, and tried to create something similar last year by roasting  beetroot and then putting it in a jar with vinegar and dried chilli.  However I tried all sorts of vinegar -sarsons, white wine, apple cider, and the results were all very acidic with no real chilli heat (only wanted it to be mildly hot -but nothing).

Has anyone else had success with this, and if so, what method did you use please?

Thanks

Hitwoman.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Re: Sweet fire beetroot
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 07:45 »
You are missing water and sugar. Sorry to ask the obvious but have you checked the ingredient list? I keep meaning to make sweet turmeric onions that were discontinued but haven't had enough small onions  :( however the company that used to make them were really kind at sending the ingredient list and I was surprised at the lengthy list *(not recipe)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Hitwoman

Re: Sweet fire beetroot
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 06:36 »
Thank you for your comments.

I did read the ingredients on the pack, but I was attempting to pickle the beetroot -using the spices suggested.  But I ended up with acidity and non of the flavour that I get in the shop bought product.  Maybe the solution is to bake and use the 'marinade' suggestion from mumofstig, as they won't left in the vinegar.

Will give it a go.

Many thanks both.

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 36 queries.