Food !

• 6 Replies

Tykelad

Food !
« on: August 14, 2009, 21:28 »
Hi all,

Am new to all this and have finally (after years of thinking about it) built my run and chicken house. I live in the country and loads of people around here have chickens so advice isn't a problem...or is it ?
I have taken delivery of 5 Sussex Hybrids atapprox 3 months old (i am assured they will be good layers ! lol).
My question is, the bloke i have got the chickens from tells me to avoid laying pellets because they make the eggs taste funny, and to just feed them on mixed corn. OK, i thought.....he knows what he is on about so i went to the feed shop and the woman behind the counter nearly had a heart attack when i told her what i wanted ! She then started a discussion with everyone in the shop who all agreed that laying pellets are the way to go and to just throw in a couple of handfuls of corn every day as a supplement. Please help, am so confused !  :wacko:

Thankyou

Foxy

Re: Food !
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 21:38 »
Hi Tykelad and welcome to the forum! Have moved you to the henhouse as that is where we tend to pick each others brains! :D
In answer to your question the feedstore was spot on, only, I would feed layers to hens when they are starting to lay, in your case around 22 weeks old. At only 3mths old they are still not mature and will need a formulation called "growers" to help them grow on. Mixed corn is fine as a treat, not too much, although they like it can lead to them becoming a bit um portly, unless they have a large area to free-range and burn off those excess calories, rather like us I suppose! :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 21:42 »
Hello! i would have them on growers at the moment and pop them onto layers at abot 15-17 wks (as medicated feed should not be fed past 17 wks) my farming friend feeds his hens mixed corn but because he has so many, corn is much cheaper than pellets for him!
i give my girls a small handful in the evening as a treat to find amongst the litter! keeps them busy for all of 2 minutes too  ::)

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 21:52 »
Layers pellets contain all the minerals and vitamins for egg layers.
Mixed corn doesn't.

If they're free ranging from dawn to dusk, I dare say they get everything they need but otherwise, you're better off with pellets once they come to POL.

Rob 8)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 11:48 »
Don't forget to add some crushed oyster shell and grit to the food. The shell is to help with eggshell production and the grit is for digestion.

luftmenschen

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 14:46 »
Thank you for this post - I too was told to feed my chicken on mixed corn - I asked about pellets and I was told that I could (but wasn't necessary) give them a bit of that too so I have been filling the feeder with mixed corn and putting a handful of pellets on top - oh dear!

I don't give any shell or grit and the eggshells are superb, always have been - might they be getting whats is needed elsewhere?

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 14:49 »
Thank you for this post - I too was told to feed my chicken on mixed corn - I asked about pellets and I was told that I could (but wasn't necessary) give them a bit of that too so I have been filling the feeder with mixed corn and putting a handful of pellets on top - oh dear!

I don't give any shell or grit and the eggshells are superb, always have been - might they be getting whats is needed elsewhere?

If they are free-ranging they are probably getting their grit from scratching around. I dont give mine grit but I make sure they have oyster shell in various upturned flower pots :)

xx
food again

Started by burnley mouton on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 15:48
by burnley mouton
xx
cat food

Started by bluemaran on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 14:25
by Roughlee Handled
xx
How much food

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 22:17
by poultrygeist
xx
Sea food?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 21:47
by Chookiechook

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 38 queries.