Bay tree help please!

• 4 Replies

kiaweeze

Bay tree help please!
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:19 »
Hi
I have wanted 2 lollypop bay trees for the front of my house for years, we are just about to buy 2 very nice ones (7.5ft), however as you probably know they are very expensive and I am getting nervous about their care. The problem I have is the position I want them for is north facing and I am worried that this will not be suitable, can anyone give me some advice please, and has anyone grown them in this position before?

Thanks

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Bay tree help please!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 12:19 »
I have had two lollypop bays for some years outside our back door, which is northfacing. They get direct sunshine from about now in the year (15 minutes)  to around an hour in mid JUne.

They are in large clay pots (40cm across & 50 cm tall ) with plenty of drainage in the bottom -gravel and stones from the garden - potted in a mixture of multipurpose compost, garden soil and very fine gravel, topped with about an inch of gravel.

I water them about twice a week in the summer, with a good soak, and give them a bit of blood fish & bone around now if I remember.

Two years ago one succumbed to a disease, btu the other one is still going strong, with no protection through two hard winters. The pot is large enough to prevent the roots freezing, unless temps get really low, then I would wrap it in bubble plastic.

Hope that helps  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

kiaweeze

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:03 »
Thank you so much for your help, I have taken the plunge and bought two 4.5 ft specimens and I will plant as you suggest, keeping a close eye on them. I decided that the larger ones were going to be too big for their position so at the same time spent FAR less money! which in turn if I have to reposition later I will not be so disappointed.
Wish me luck!!
Thanks

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 13:48 »
When you repot them they often sulk for a while and look a bit sickly, but soon recover.
Cheese makes everything better.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 20:00 »
Thank you so much for your help, I have taken the plunge and bought two 4.5 ft specimens and I will plant as you suggest, keeping a close eye on them. I decided that the larger ones were going to be too big for their position so at the same time spent FAR less money! which in turn if I have to reposition later I will not be so disappointed.
Wish me luck!!
Thanks

Like to see a photo or two --- they sound gorgeous  :D

xx
Tree id, anybody?

Started by Annen on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 17:51
by Annen
clip
Tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2021, 08:44
by johnjsdb
clip
Tree for I d

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2016, 09:23
by New shoot
xx
What is this tree?

Started by myfanwe on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 02:54
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 38 queries.