Spam,spam,spam

• 14 Replies

jezza

Spam,spam,spam
« on: February 19, 2021, 11:15 »
Hello Spam chips and baked beans ,spam mash potatoe cauliflower cheese and green beans ,spam new potatoes and salad,how do you like your spam     jezza

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Spam,spam,spam
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 11:20 »
I like mine left on the supermarket shelf  ::)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 12:34 »
Not for me, I'll pass on that.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 13:02 »
My dad liked his with homemade picalili in a sandwich

grinling

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 13:43 »
spam fritter

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 14:52 »
Permanently removed from my junk folder.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 16:37 »
that reminds me of Monty Pythan spam spam and spam you either love it or hate it I personally like spam sometimes fry it or in a sandwich with a nice chutney or with a salad never had spam fritters though spam fritters and chips with mushy peas sound nice must try it sometime  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 17:15 »
We used to have spam fritters as kids - mine invariably finished up on my pillow or bedclothes (sorry. that's as delicately as I can put it!  ::))

Corned beef - different story altogether (or at least it is once you get back home from the almost obligatory visit to A&E after opening the tin!  :ohmy:  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 18:18 »
We always have a tin in the fridge, and my record for opening one (the Houdini trick; open tin, squeeze diagonally on each corner, tap the tin upside down, then just do downward pump-action until it appears whole), is down to around 8 seconds!

'Munchies' with a thin slice are sooooo much nicer than a biscuit, although I've recently part-converted to gluten-free sausages - our butcher in Cranbrook does a fabulous recipe!

lettice

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 09:58 »
Always had the Sainsburys and wavy line own brand supermarket tinned luncheon meat when I was a kid as that was where my parents did their main shopping.
Both my grandparents always had Pek, which I loved.

When I moved out and into my own home locally had an Asda. I found my loved Pek Chopped Pork.
Never looked back. Buy it regularly in Asda and Morrisons.
It still tastes exactly like I always remember it when I was a kid. Then again I've eaten it all my life.

I've even converted many a Spam person over the years, who said they much preferred Pek.
Just loved since March 2020 having moved to online groceries only that I can get a tins each week without fail from both Asda and Morrisons. But sadly Waitrose do not sell it, Still it keeps well in your cupboard, so can easily keep stocked up. Normally have about ten tins in the cupboard :)

Do often use chunks of it along with leftover Roast Pork in a stir fry.
It makes the best meat for Carbonara.
Best though sliced in a homemade loaf with english mustard or on its own along with a home grown summer salad.

lettice

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 10:26 »

Corned beef - different story altogether (or at least it is once you get back home from the almost obligatory visit to A&E after opening the tin!  :ohmy:  :lol:)

Do also like Corned Beef.
Do go for the Asda Smartprice or Asda own brand. Could not taste the difference with any other brand or found it it to be any different in taste. It all comes from Brazil and expect the same factory.
Found that putting in the fridge for an hour before opening and it slips out.
Never really find the corned beef opening an issue. Have seen many a person have trouble though and end up using a tin opener. But then it does not slip out right.
Have a few times tried the slices from the deli counters in Waitrose and Morrisons, but it just did not have that taste of corned beef for me.

Two other meats I love are Haslet, that I regularly buy from Supermarkets in slices.
Brawn is the other, but its often not available all year round.
Certainly beats that muck no matter what method they try to cook it they call Ham slices these days. Best is to get a gammon and cook it yourself. I buy the round unsmoked gammons and cut them in half, cook them in halves in a large stock pot of my stock and spices. Sometimes make a glaze (using either mustard, brown sugar, ginger beer mixed with any type of easy peeler, drizzle of treacle and breadcrumbs) and roast it for a short time in oven to form a crust.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 11:09 »
Agree about the corned beef, Lettice!

We're very proud in our village, as one of the first chaps to get it on sale lived here https://metode.cat/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/hawkhurst-oxo-story.pdf, and while the place is now a good school, he was also a generous benefactor which is still recalled very fondly!

For my part, one year I bought some salt beef from our local butcher, and slow-cooked it in Guinness....for far too long as it happens, as all I got was - yup - my own version of corned beef!

Corned beef is a fave here, esepecially made up as a hash!

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 13:48 »
Must confess to liking both Pek and tinned corned beef (I always get John to open the tin). Did have 2 400g tins of Pek in the cupboard but down to 1 as we've just finished one. John likes it fried but I prefer it with lettuce and mayo on a sandwich. Got 2 tins of corned beef in as well but 1 will be used for corned beef hash on Tuesday. :D :D :D
Val
Recipes Galore!

wighty

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 17:03 »
Used to get my homework done for me in return for eating the spam fritters dished up for school dinner.  Several of my friends hated them  but I liked them.  Can get them in our local chip shop and have had them from there.  Always have a tin of Spam, corned beef and luncheon meat in the cupboard.  Also like Haslet and brawn.  We used to have a neighbour whose mother made it and I always got some from her.

lettice

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 17:15 »
Always thought it would be a waste of corned beef to make it into a hash.
But then if I open a tin, it most probably would all be gone in one go along with a salad.
Have though had it a few times and can see the attraction.

Having a further think I remember Corned Beef that I used to buy a few decades ago from Asda was made by Dewhurst, same as the butcher. Never recall ever going into a Dewhurst butchers, so not sure if they also sold it in their shops.
But like I said its now Asda's own brands for me.

xx
Spam Attack

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post January 04, 2019, 01:36
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Emails going to spam ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post November 22, 2019, 17:06
by mumofstig
xx
It's in my spam, how to retrieve ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post September 06, 2020, 10:17
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 55 queries.