Quail Mischief!

• 9 Replies

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Quail Mischief!
« on: October 30, 2010, 19:20 »
So I just return from uni, and offer to put the animals to bed!
First I go to the rabbits and spend half an hour chasing them in with them thumping repeatedly to tell me how displeased they are.
Then I go to the quail... To get our quail inside and not run the risk of them escaping I have to crawl inside the run with them pick them up one by one and put them inside the coop... so the first five all dutifully run up the ramp nice and easy... The 6th (Chanel). She cowers in the back corner, so I reach over to get her and she starts flapping and flapping, then she flies at the door that i've pulled shut, and manages to open it again! So off she flies.
I run out after her and see her still within the electric fencing next to a rabbit (I failed to get the rabbits in first) so I grab the nearest thing (a rabbit house) and creep over to her, she sees me coming and runs straight through the electric fence. I panic, run out of the fencing and through the trees to where she is (getting slapped repeatedly round the face by branches) I creep up again, get within inches and she runs into the long grass. I spend half an hour rooting around the long grass, find her and she takes off over the hedge into next doors garden. I am now nearly in tears and about to phone my mum and admit what i've done. (she's at church so hopefully in a forgiving mood!) I miserably go back to putting the rest of the animals to bed, thinking about the fate my poor little Quail might face!
I get the rest of the animals in bed, and I think, I can't just give up on her I have to go next door and look! so I grab a better catching device (a cat litter tray) and run next door, only to discover it's pitch black and I can't see anything. So armed with only the light from my phone I set off hunting. Suddenly she flies up and over to the other side of the garden. I head over and carry on hunting.
Then she flies back again so I follow! I see her at the edge of the neighbors pond and creep up, this time I get so close I can almost put the litter tray over her, when suddenly! My phone beeps to inform me my battery is dying, well the beep alerts her to my presence and off she goes again, and this time lands right in the middle of the pond.
Not knowing wether quails can swim i'm now thinking, is she drowning! what if the big fish eat her! Should I jump in after her!
So I run round the other side of the pond, and see she's nearer to the edge than I thought, so in I creep once more. Just about giving up all hope of ever catching her again, I'm now leaning over the pond knowing that if I slip i'm going straight in. Armed with my litter tray I reach out hook it over her and scoop her in!
I managed to pull her to the side of the pond and pick her up.
I have never been so relieved, and happy to have my little Quail back!
But the moral of the story is, uni is safer, and never offer to put the animals to bed!
Just had to share my traumatic evening!
=)
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Quail Mischief!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 19:47 »
 :D :D :D

Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 21:00 »
Good grief!!!  I would just let them sit outside so long as nothing can eat them :)  They like outside  :D :D :D :D
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:16 »
Oh dear! Sounds like a fun evening. I think you've just put me off quail  :lol: :lol:

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 13:02 »
Phew - at least she is back safe!

I too have problems with naughty quail at times.

I lost one who got out and found out she could fly really well and was a field away so no chance of me getting her back.

Sid was the funniest though when he escaped as he flew to Arwen (cat) and settled down next to her tummy. I shouted at her as her eyes lit up at this turn of events and she put one paw on him and looked the other way! Silly quail thought she was his friend I think  :blink: :unsure: and thankfully Arwen is one of only two of the pudtats that wouldn't attack as a quail flying about is too much temptation for most! I know Caesar is good too as I accidentally locked him in the room with 8 chicks for half a day and when I came back found him sat in the corner facing the wall  :lol: He belted out when he could and all chicks were fine and happy and unaware of how close I had placed them to possible death!

daisy1990

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 15:48 »
we have now decided to leave the quail in the outside run overnight (they can get indoors if they choose to) as having escaped once they all seem to making a beeline for the door when I open it (or is that my imagination!)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 16:18 »
They will be fine outside and can go in if they choose :)

But make sure that nothing can reach through the gaps in the run wire and get them.... I know of one quail that got half pulled through the wire as the gaps were big enough for a paw to get through....

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 21:16 »
The mesh on their run is really tiny, so I don't think anything can get through =) and they're inside an electric fence which we leave on all the time. So hopefully they will be safe and learn to behave themselves now!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 18:39 »
pity there wasn't someone about with a camcorder :lol:

orchardlady

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 21:53 »
Sounds like you've had a hard evening. The amount of times I've tried to rugby tackle a hen is countless but now days I run for no one..walk briskly yes but not run!

Maybe you need to invest in a fisherman's net?

xx
Quail.

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 20:14
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Quail Chicks

Started by animal mad on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 21:24
by animal mad
xx
infertile quail?

Started by poultrypeople on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 17:18
by Mulberry1990
clip
Quail chicks

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

23 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 22:57
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.