OMG, the Blood!!!!

• 8 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
OMG, the Blood!!!!
« on: August 09, 2011, 07:21 »
I was trying a bit of hen taming last night and picked up our Cotswold Legbar Matilda after a bit of hide and seek. While stroking her I was horrified to see spots of blood falling to the ground and looking down I could see splashes of the dark red stuff on my sweatshirt and shorts. I frantically started checking her over to see where it was coming from and couldn't understand why she was so calm. After about 5 minutes I discovered that it was actually my blood from a thorn that was sticking out of my arm. It is a small hole but bled profusely.

All I can say is thank goodness for vanish!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: OMG, the Blood!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:06 »
you are lucky that she and the others didn't go frantic after the blood - anything red they love. Be careful that none of those thorns endu up in the chickens feet - this could lead to bumblefoot  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:15 »
Twas a hawthorn and must have stuck me as I was rooting in the hedge trying to retrieve the hiding hen. Hopefully they will remain on the tree and not the floor (or in me  ;) )

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 08:26 »
I normally end up getting stung by nettles - why do my birds never eat those instead of my veg  ::)

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:03 »
I purposefully removed all the nettles from the run whilst building it. I did discover a bit of regrowth last night when Matilda tried to hide behind it but didn't have any gloves handy plus I had her cornered so  wanted to to concentrate on grabbing her

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 14:17 »
Oh, I would have panicked too!  Glad you both are okay!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 14:48 »
Hope that you are up to date with your Tetanus jab.   :unsure:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 15:51 »
Last time I went for a booster I was informed that I'd had enough to last me a lifetime. Suits me as I don't like injections.

I'm being a bit of a wuss over this thorn though, I keep having to poke at it to see if I have got the tip out as it's rather swollen and red.

I do like having the hedge within the hen run but it did cause me a lot of thorn grief when putting in the fencing.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 16:00 »
Try putting a poltice on it to draw out any nasties left in.  We use unscented soap softened with preboiled water and mushed up with sugar.  Cover with a plaster or (gauze and bandage if you want to get some sympathy)!  Leave it on overnight if you can and it should work a treat.   :D

xx
Blood everywhere!!!!!!!

Started by Pep on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 16:46
by ANHBUC
xx
Rush of blood to the head!

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 18:00
by New shoot

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 40 queries.