Can you resist seedling donations?

• 1 Replies

AnneB

Can you resist seedling donations?
« on: April 20, 2012, 21:48 »
I am already growing 7 different varities of tomato.  Two each of Aranyalma, Cuban Flower, Principe Borghese, Essex Wonder and Golden Grape, plus 1 each of Stupice and Aurora.  I don't have a greenhouse or poly tunnel, so these all need to be outside, some in pots, some directly in the soil.

Whilst visiting our London office, a colleague brought in a selection of surplus tomato seedlings.  She had grown whole packets with her 2 children.  Would I like some?

Well, hard to turn down.  So I packed up 1 each of Golden Sunrise and Super Marmande and stuffed them into a spare wine carrier.  Only problem was the journey home.  I then had to go to Brighton for a meeting, before coming back to London and then home to Yorkshire.  As well as the tomato plants I was accompanied by an overnight case, a briefcase, a large handbag and an umbrella.  Still they survived their trip to the seaside before returning north and being juggled with the rest of the luggage on their train and tube journeys without looking too limp.  A new perspective on food miles! I will see how they do.

I am going to return the compliment with a couple of celeriac seedlings when they are large enough to transplant.  They will be going south.

I think it is a bit like seed catalogue browsing.  You just can't help it and it is so hard to say no.  Is anyone else afflicted in a similar way?

compostqueen

Re: Can you resist seedling donations?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 22:20 »
Oh yes, it's a tragic affliction  :D

I had more tomatoes last year than I knew what to do with, they were coming out of my ears as I always grow far too many, but there I was happily accepting a donation of beefsteaks as I was too polite to refuse  :blush:  I even took some GD's off him and I'd already grown some. Well, I thought he would be offended  :D

xx
Cant resist showing off :)

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post December 06, 2010, 22:56
by SkipRat
xx
where are my seedling?!!

Started by elyleebert on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 12:42
by DD.
xx
Anyone know what seedling this is?

Started by nuzuki on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 14:39
by Matt31
xx
My son's first seedling!

Started by Limey153 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 18:02
by evie2

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 38 queries.