Pricking out brassicas

• 11 Replies

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
Pricking out brassicas
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:36 »
Can anyone tell me the best time to prick out brassicas and if moving them at the wrong time can arrest their growth.

I usually sow them in trays then prick out into pots when they are large enough to handle, but now they have moved to a new home they seemed to have lost their "oomph" and seem to be struggling.

I have had problems in the past when I have left them in the greenhouse where it can get over warm and they die off, so I now leave them outside - but not in direct sunlight.

I never seem to have a problem with germination, just the growing on.

Any help will be appreciated.

madcat

Re: Pricking out brassicas
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:13 »
I prick them out when they are showing the first pair of true leaves, which seems to mean that they have enough root but not so much that I cant separate them without real damage.  Plant them deep and then resist the temptation to over water (my big sin, and results in damping off... so many times  :( )  A day inside to recover and then into the cold frame or just on the back yard. They think about it for a week or so and then get going.  Perhaps your are in the making roots stage???
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Under The Hill

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:16 »
Yes I agree with all of the above.  Potted mine on last were and they haven't done much yet. They are outside in a make shift cold frame.  So just hang in there.

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 16:16 »
Agree with madcat. The only difference is that I sow mine in plug trays. That way they can be potted up into 7cm pots without disturbing the roots. I've got a number of 7x12 trays with 1 inch deep plugs. Enough just to get them started then they're moved into the pots.

brianc

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 17:57 »
I start mine off in seed trays until they are about 1inch high, then i move them into 3inch pots up to the first
leaves . I put them outside in good light but not direct sunlight, for the first 2 weeks i bring them in at night
in case of frost ,i know they are tough plants but they are still tender. If you leave them in seed trays for too
long they will bend over and be hard to plant into the ground. you must give them good light or else they will
grow leggy, when they are about 5inches high i plant into the ground, i always start another batch off at 3 week
intervals so that i have a back up and i will use the others for stagered cropping, you can only eat so many
at any one time . I hope this helps.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 08:56 »
I sow in small (1/4 size) seed trays - I find them easier to get the watering right, and even across the whole lot, compared to modules where some cells may be wetter / drier than others and can't share with their neighbours, so-to-speak.

I used to prick out to 3" pots, but I found that was quite a lot of compost, and therefore "water", for such a small seedling. Fine if you have time to check each pot before watering to see how much it needs, I grow far too much stuff to be able to do that.  So now I prick out to 1" modules and then pot on to 9cm pots (I switched to that in preference to 3" 'coz it allows them to stay in the pots a bit longer if necessary - e.g. if nice weather doesn't coincide with when I am NOT busy at work!!). Added bonus is that the 1" modules take up less space than the 3" pots used to so, early in the season, I have more plants per bench than I used to with pots. Later on some stuff is already moving out as new (slower growing) stuff is being potted on.  More work to pot-on of course, but I can do that indoors in evenings etc. so is not weather / daylight dependent

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 09:07 »
1 seed per cell  into a 20 cell seed tray insert.

Each plant into 3" pot when it's got its first true leaves.

Pot into ground at 6".

No faff!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:09 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

brianc

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 17:00 »
Hello D.D
             I like abit of faff, i do get alot of enjoyment from seed sowing and potting on.
             Since i have retired i have plenty of time for faffing about,i know some people are pushed for time
             but we should not lose the enjoyment element of growing our food.
             I do think i should get out more ? this is not a gripe.
                                 Brianc.         

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 19:15 »
I dont faff, I have four kids aint got time for it. In they go like DD's no indoors pandering out on the garden wall until they go to the plot. Job done.  ;) maybe when I retire I will faff

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 20:29 »
I'm retired and wish I had time to faff!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 20:50 »
I am a devout member of NFGG - working full time and doing a large plot on my own means I have no other option - but if people have the time then lucky them and enjoy :)

Eblana

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 22:07 »
I amnt working at the moment but still don't like faffing.  I don't prick mine out at all, I just sow them in modules (2 or 3 seeds per module), if they all germinate I remove the weaker ones.  Once they have two true leaves I start hardening them off.  Sowing to planting out 4-6 weeks.

xx
pricking out brassicas

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2021, 10:42
by Aunt Sally
xx
Pricking out

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 12:13
by peapod
xx
Pricking out an aubergine?

Started by JulesJ on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 18:08
by JulesJ
xx
Pricking out and tap roots

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 08:36
by rhysdad

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 35 queries.